Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Power steering gear leak International 1900 pitman arm removal?

fast_st ยท 2016-08-09 17:08

Have a mid to late 80's S1900 dump truck at the club, its developed a leak on the output shaft seal. I don't see anything holding the pitman arm to the shaft, it needs to come off to get at the seal, it looks to be a splined shaft without any retainer bolt, or maybe the bolt already snapped off. Any good ideas for getting the pitman arm off and then back on again without destroying the box? Replace the box instead? Thanks in advance as always!

Replies3
  1. #1Truck Shop2016-08-09 20:09

    Some are held in-place with set screws. Truck Shop

  2. #2Shimmy12016-08-09 23:42

    I was through this a few years ago on one of our 9900's. Yes, the pitman arm comes off (you have to use yours on a new box), but I was told that (IF) you can change the seal, because some you have to dissemble the whole box, more often than not the shaft will have a groove worn in it and the new seal will not last. FWIW, my trucks have Shepard boxes, some have Ross. You want a "maybe it will, maybe it won't" fix? Change the oil out and put Lucas Power Steering Stopleak in. My leaking gear lasted close to two years before I had to change it. If your truck is only.used occasionally, it might last for years.

  3. #3fast_st2016-08-10 10:43

    Thanks guys, Been trying to find any pictures online and it seems that what I think is the end of the shaft is actually a big allen bolt.. I'm going to dig out the little sandblaster and see if I can find some more detail. It could be a press on / press off but it should have some type of retainer being that its steering. As to the shaft being grooved, that's possible, perhaps a seal saver kit might be in order.