What is the proper way to shift from F to R and back in a Power Shift tractor with a decelerator pedal?
The tractor in this video is the same model, and very close to mine. I think he completely lets the engine wind down to low idle before accelerating either forward, or rearward when changing directions. This is the answer I was looking for as I have no experience with a power shift trans in a dozer. Many other videos I've watched don't show the operator slowing the engine down at all before changing directions. These are probably all manual transmission models however. Thanks,
That’s exactly how I operate my D7F
I have a Deere 550G with powershift. It is a pedal steer. I read on this site sometime back to decelerate all the way to idle, make your shift, then let out the decelerator pedal. I just use my dozer around the ranch and not in a commercial sense so most of the time I'll mash on both steer pedals with my left foot to come to a complete stop before changing directions. I don't really think that is necessary, but somehow, I feel better about it since I am so used to clutches on vehicles. I think I also read on one of these threads that powershift transmissions can handle "hard shifts" without using the pedal, but it puts more stress on everything.
The transmission control valve is modulated so for the most part it doesn't mater. I always like to decel and then shift but I talked to Cat engineering years ago and they said a full power shift doesn't hurt anything. You will get as much argument out of this question as you will find about oils and Detroit two stroke engines.
To add to what John said a lot of machines didn’t have decelerators. Track loaders come to mind.
You may find instructions in the operation and maintenance manual for your machine. If you do not have the manual go to "usedequipmentmanuals.com", one Fiat Allis 11B manual is advertised there at the moment, $38.24.
Just don’t get the idea that the Allis is anything like a Cat. Both the Allis and International have very poor modulation and have to decelerated to low idle to shift directions.
Have you seen this, Allis Chalmers HD 11-B, Fiat Allis 11-B ,Dealers Brochure Slideshow A credit to the person who put it on youtube.
Thanks to the responders in this thread. I have been in touch with the former owner and he does have the manuals supplied with the machine when new including the owners/operators manual. I have soft copies of the transmission and engine service manuals, along with the final drives via online searching. Also have parts manuals for the tractor series complete. I had not been able to locate an operators manual detailing how to actually operate the machine however. Given this dozer is an Allis-Chalmers product and apparently quite difficult to source parts for, I'll want to take care of it best I can so asking questions rather than learn the hard and expensive way. Although spending a lot of time growing up in Springfield, IL, and remembering these tractors very well setting in the staging area(s) for delivery, I wasn't really around them much. Many of my friends had relations that worked at the "A-C" plant, (never referred to as "Fiat-Allis") and was inside several areas, many times. As mentioned in the comments section of that posted video, the comment about the dozers built for Iran, I remember those very well setting off to themselves and not moving for years. I think they were still setting in the same place when I moved from the area at the end of 1984. It was evident from the plant grounds it was on the way to closure being almost devoid of anything related to it's former days. Thanks again.
In case you did not see it, at 39 seconds into the Allis Chalmers Fiat Allis 11-B Dealers Brochure slideshow, the power shift function is explained briefly. Quote "Change direction forward-reverse under full power". My own Operation and Maintenance Manual for my Fiat Allis 10C (power shift gearbox) says "Before reversing direction of travel when in motion , it is also good practice to press down on the decelerator pedal." This is what I do, mostly. However, when decelerating is not an option, (reversing direction in very steep terrain) then I will shift under power. I hope your 11-B machine works well for you. That era was the golden age of US manufacturing. Many vacant workshops and vacant lives here in Australia now, manufacturing no longer happening much. Not that we are patch on the US, but in the past we could build cars at least.
Thanks kindly. I did not see that at all as was viewing on the cell phone with a small screen. Hard to believe but I remember what I believe is that exact brochure from all those years ago as one of the guys I went to high school with had a father that worked in the print shop at the "A-C" plant. He had a box of those to send out to sales dealerships. This was about 1976 or so. When speaking with the former owner today he tells me he always used the decelerator before shifting directions. Also says he really didn't use high gear much at all and always reversed in low speed. It is mentioned about accelerated undercarriage wear traveling in reverse, and exponential wear increase with faster speeds, so this was not performed. A now defunct servicing shop did routine maintenance on the tractor yearly just before it was put in the barn for the winter months. This included fluids and lubrication to the complete tractor so I gather it has been very well taken care of. It sure runs like it has been. Is your tractor a Fiat-Allis in black, or FiatAllis in white letters? I remember the change as it was talked about when hanging out with friends one evening.
Here it is:
''Hard to believe but I remember what I believe is that exact brochure from all those years ago as one of the guys I went to high school with had a father that worked in the print shop at the "A-C" plant. He had a box of those to send out to sales dealerships. This was about 1976 or so.'' Well that is an amazing story, what a coincidence! It is a beautiful brochure, high quality content, artwork and printing. I have an original brochure for my 10-C. Mine is Fiat-Allis in black letters. Sounds as if your dozer was extremely well looked after by the previous owner, good to see it is in safe hands now.
That shaft with the two clutch packs on it looks like the same design as used in the transmissions of the Hough loaders I worked on. Could be wrong but seem to recall those transmissions were made by Rockford.
From what I understand the tractor was purchased new at Dunmire Equipment in El Paso, IL by the Otto Baum Co. of Morton, IL. Dunmire is defunct and I spoke with Baum trying to gain information about this tractor. They had several Fiat-Allis bulldozers and too many years distant so nothing to be gained there. However, I know one of their long term maintenance guys and he tells me their maintenance routines are "above average" with the way they keep equipment. Baum has since moved to Caterpillar equipment mostly nowadays. The prior owner, "Tony" purchased the tractor from Dunmire equipment as they wound up with it after it was traded in at Altorfer Inc. which is the Caterpillar dealer in this area. A new undercarriage was installed before Dunmire took possession, and from the records this undercarriage has about 450 operating hours on it now. Never off of the prior owner's property. The hour meter in the tractor is not original and I cannot find anything pertinent to total tractor hours. This dozer was purchased 1n 1996 to clear and terrace land to build three houses upon for the family homestead which has been in the family since the American Civil War concluded, (1865). The property was a federal government "gift" to the veteran for Union Army service which was common in this area. With the construction completed about 2012, the tractor has mostly sat in the barn unused, but started occasionally. I delivered him a new compact utility tractor is how I ran across it; with him wanting the new tractor parked where the dozer sets. The rest is history. I don't have it home yet but plan to shortly when I can get it inside my shop to go over it and learn by "hands on".
Are nearly exactly the same and Yes Rockford, same as was in my old 7G Allis and was FOREARNED "Do NOT under any circumstance shift at full power/RPM", not so much for the Transmission but the Finals, want to bust a Pinion, bang shift that puppy Hi to LO to Lo Reverse Not pausing!!! Early tractors were Not DECEL equipped where that was added and brochures changed to DECEL Prior To Shifts, due to previous Failures.