Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pre Filter for Kobelco SK250LC

delectric123 ยท 2017-03-27 10:43

Our 2006 Kobelco 250LC is a great machine with one strong dislike. It has only one small fuel filter that requires bleeding every time it gets changed. I saw that the new SK260LC has a pre filter. I got a brainstorm to get that part for our 250LC, haven't checked the price yet. I like it that it has a clear sight glass. Any other ideas,thoughts?

Replies6
  1. #1dirthog2017-03-27 10:47

    You are still going to have to bleed it when it is changed as long as you fill the filters before installing them it should start and run with out bleeding anyhow.

  2. #2GregsHD2017-03-27 20:55

    A customer of mine has a mkIV SK200, it has this same prefilter/screen, nice little unit! I don't recommend pre filling fuel filters unless absolutely necessary, I do keep a jug of clean filtered fuel in the truck for those idiot designed units with no primer pump. I never like to see a diesel engine with only one fuel filter. Every one built should have a water separator prefilter! Makes me crazy!!

  3. #3delectric1232017-03-28 08:51

    That would be a newer model where its standard? That's most of the reason why I want to install a prefilter. A similar sized engine on a Volvo I once used had two filters each about twice the physical size of the Kobelco. Now I've never compared specs, just looking visually there's much bigger capacity. And since I have a steel fuel tank, that doesn't help either. I once forgot to drain the water from the fuel tank for an extended period of time and am now reaping the results. So if somebody also has the same feelings over those models of Kobelco, or added a prefilter, I'm open for ideas

  4. #4GregsHD2017-03-28 11:26

    I the mkIV SK200 I work on is a late 90's machine. Best bet would be to plumb in a quality aftermarket spin on filter head. Racor makes some nice units, usually sold through marine supply stores. They even have filter heads with primer pumps similar to the Volvo units. http://ph.parker.com/us/en/diesel-fuel-filter-spin-on/445r2

  5. #5Kobelco ireland2017-03-28 16:28

    Hi not sure about the America market but all European spec kobelco came with a pre filter since back in the 90's. Your model should have a clear glass bowl filter same as the picture above inside the rear door next to the hydraulic pump. Maybe it was bypassed and removed you could fit a new unit the mounting bracket should still be there for it

  6. #6delectric1232017-03-29 21:03

    must be different for America. Parts manual only specifies water separator, not a filter, and replacement filter list only has one fuel filter