Hey guys, I got an invite from a GC for a small prevailing wage sitework project that I'm interested in bidding, but I really cant come up with any good information that is clearly written as to how to go about it as an owner operator. Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm going round and round with PA DOL on how I can file certified payroll, when I don't have one as an owner op. Unfortunately, pinning my accountant down on answers has been like nailing jello to a wall. Any info?
In the certified payroll that I have done (for the Forest Service) my time is listed as exempt. I have employees and have filled out the certified payroll on them, but had no issue with myself. I looked at the PA certified payroll form, and it appears to be basically a copy of the federal form, so I assume that the same would apply. Worst case scenario, pay yourself the prevailing wage? I'll look at some of my past forms and make sure that what I have said is correct.
I just looked at one of my past certified payroll reports and found that my time operating equipment was not included in the report, though all of my employees time was. So, to answer your question, I can't answer your question. If you are required to file a certifiec payroll report regardless of having employees, then I guess you either declare yourself as exempt, or pay yourself the prevailing wage. Sorry, I was not much help, but I bet others on the forum have done prevailing wage jobs as o/o and can describe what they did. Good Luck!
This whole white sheet prevailing wage thing is a nightmare to keep figured out. Since you are "management" you should be able to claim yourself exempt. I always did cause I was on salary. The long and short of it is that they probably aren't going to come looking unless someone complains. I am sure you are not going to complain and turn yourself in.
I presume you are a owner operator, non incorporated. Here's my best guess: In the best case, you work the job, submit the form and declare exempt. They accept it and you get paid. Fifteen or maybe not more than 10 years ago, this could be accomplished around these parts. This is the typical case these day: either the Client (say school or govt or etc) hires a management firm.....they staff the job daily and report all activities (who was there, what were they doing, etc). At some time thereafter you submit your certified payroll report with the idea 'exempt', someone in an office matches your attendance and actions listed on the report from the mngmnt firm, and if you weren't (for example) supervising or measuring or checking dimensions etc, they disallow payment because you were working and were not on the payroll report as being paid these required wages. The GC's Super may also do this activity. I believe I could figure out how to "pay myself a wage" as an owner operator by putting my name on the payroll reports/time cards and writing a bunch of withholding, fringe, and work comp checks. I have been told it is not such a problem to pay yourself differing wages when you are a incorporation (this of course assumes the corp makes enough money LOL). * I wonder if more owner operators have considered going on payroll when they dropped their medical insurance so at least if they were injured at work, there would be some insurance (this comment strays from the point of the thread, sorry). Let us know how you address this issue...
Owners are exempt, off site truck drivers are exempt, .....that's about the only 2 rules you need to know on a small scale. ......btw, CPR are required regardless of who works on the project if you have an employee or not, inbox me for more info and ill send you my sectaries number she can help you along (she knows the MO stuff anyways) Pj
Also should say that if you are needing to apply for a pay request and don't have all your paperwork in place you can always claim a "mid-stream" payroll plea