Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Preventing excavator roll overs

MadMitch ยท 2013-08-29 19:22

Hey guys. I am starting to operate excavators more often on the railways and around the railways. The machines range from 5t yanmar zero swings to 20t machines. I am very cautious when it comes to tracking over inclines or up spoil piles as I am worried about a potential tip over. I've been operating a fair bit so I have a general understanding on the rough limitations of the machine. Obviously not to track sideways on a steep slope etc but I'm just curious as to any tips or tricks you guys use. I really don't want to be the guy that tips the new yanmar over. Any advice would be great.

Replies15
  1. #1eric122013-08-29 19:41

    track as straight up the hill as you can with the bucket and blade in front of you, if its real steep grab a bucket of dirt and reach it out in front of you as far as you can and you'll usually loose traction before you tip. or if you can reach the backside of the pile when you get close to the top grab onto that and help pull yourself up and sort of acts like an anchor.

  2. #2John C.2013-08-29 21:34

    You need to ask this question on one of the logger pages, maybe limbers and road builders. I've had to climb to shovels in places where it took both hands and my feet just to reach the base of the tracks.

  3. #3MadMitch2013-08-29 21:40

    Hey John that's a great idea thanks. If any one, they would be the best to talk too. I've been having a think and would I be correct in saying you use your boom and dipper to act as an arm or counterweight while navigating tricky bits?

  4. #4AlloaExcavating2013-08-29 21:45

    Always use the travel pedals and not the sticks, keep your hands on the controls so you can react and catch yourself if the machine starts to slide, tip etc

  5. #5stondad2013-08-29 21:58

    Hey Mitch. Am I confused or were you on the Mill harvester at Maryborough last season ? If so, and you are still close by, I can introduce you to a couple of top operators. Sounds like you are in a situation where you don't have a good mentor and I can't help you myself because I have only limited experience. I can refer you to YouTube where you'll find lots of clips of good operation, back to one I remember that was a fatality going down a bank in a 20tonner. I do know a fella who rolled a dozer on a moderate sideway slope because he was walking on pushed saplings laying down the hill. The grousers slipped on the saplings and there was nothing he could do.

  6. #6wilko2013-08-29 22:37

    Hmmmm, a sticky where people could post good instructional Youtube videos.

  7. #7MadMitch2013-08-29 23:38

    Nah not me mate sorry. Are there a few videos ? I may have a look

  8. #8MadMitch2013-08-29 23:40

    My biggest problem is getting the seat time. As I work on the railways everything needs to be done fast and properly otherwise the big cheeses get stroppy and start a warpath. I want to get as much knowledge as I can out of the seat so that when I jump in on a decent job I don't make any silly mistakes. If you get where in coming from. It's no good to "learn the hard way" in this industry as if you **** up big your gone.

  9. #9stondad2013-08-30 00:01

    Good idea wilco, but I don't have the skills to link to them. Anyway, you just use the search function and ask for "excavator accidents" and the choices will give you accidents and clips of machines operating. Mitch, all you can do is be careful and do your best. It's hard if you are not working with people to watch and learn from and give you advice. Not to say that everything you will see is right.

  10. #10dozerman4002013-08-31 18:18

    Careful with u tube, some wantabees trying to teach. When your leaders get you in a hurry, that is a problem if your not experienced with the machine your running. Take 2 deep breaths and think about what you have to do. Bosses know what they want but may not see all obsticals to get it done. Or they do see the obsticals and have seen other guys get it done before you. good luck and be safe

  11. #11MadMitch2013-08-31 19:12

    Thanks heaps guys all of your advice is great. I think the best thing for me to do is to take it slow and really think about what needs to be done.

  12. #12Plebeian2013-09-03 22:46

    Tell the boss to get you a set of track grips for the various machines, if you are working on soft steep stuff all day. http://www.trackgrip.co.nz/

  13. #13jack3452013-09-03 23:03

    Hey, I have those on my Arctic CAT

  14. #14MadMitch2013-09-04 04:14

    Great idea the track grip but we use rubber cleats as we are tracking on the rail of railways all the time

  15. #15Karl Robbers2013-09-08 11:46

    Well, I'll stick my nose in here. When you say you are working on the railway, are you by any chance running one of the excavators set up with rail gear underneath? If so, bear in mind that the rail gear is far narrower than your tracks and when working off the rail gear, you need to keep your bucket/load REAL close if slewing sideways and be very smooth in your movements with no sudden stops or starts. Other than that, keep your bucket low to the ground and use it either as a counterweight or a prop depending on individual conditions.