Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Prinoth w/ CAT C7 starting issues

Dustin Dirt ยท 2017-09-17 08:27

Hi so I'm looking for some help here with these pre emissions C7 w/ HEUI fuel system approx 1500HR.i has a racor water separator then goes to the factory fuel filter set-up. all fuel filter are new and running 15w-40. I got an engine the is hard to turn over and sometimes gets no smoke when turning over. This machine has 3 group 31 batteries I would say plenty of juice to get it running, I have bench tested starter and alternator and both are good. I went out to it because it would not start, found a bad intake heater relay which I replace and tested, it works. I was then getting no fuel now. when I monitor the actuation pressure though cat et is when it gets odd. It will make 300 at the beginning then jumps up to 1400-1700 intermittently, that is the only time I get smoke, once I get the machine running it runs excellent with out any problem and it will start up again with out problem 14-17 hundo actuation pressure right off the bat. Like I said I have gone through this fuel system in and out, inspected pick up tubes in tank then lines from separator to primary to secondary, I ever inspected inside the heui and transfer pump. pretty much the only thing I didn't get into is the valve cover to look at the injectors. I guess my question would be is there anything I'm missing here. I'm starting to lean on something with the electrical side of the chassis. help is much appreciated

Replies1
  1. #1Junkyard2017-09-17 19:15

    Well let me take a shot at it. I'm not super familiar with the Cat setup but I've been into several Powerstrokes. Same basic function. You need a minimum pressure on the high pressure oil side of things to even get the ecm to fire the injectors. Sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak or a weak pump. Even one cut o-ring in the right place will do it. You can rig up some test fittings to pressure up the high pressure system with air to find your leak. Could be a number of places. Time to dig into that side of things. There's a guy who has a video on YouTube of how he tests injectors etc.