Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Private Levee

joispoi · 2011-05-23 02:44

I´ve seen a few pictures in the news and on other sites of levees that people have built for protection from the flooding that´s going on in the south. I thought this one looked very well done. Hats off to the man (men) who built it. Hopefully they can remove it soon. :usa

Replies13
  1. #1bill onthehill2011-05-23 06:26

    I can't help but think that somewhere when it finally goes down there are going to be a bunch of catfish ponds where all that dirt was excavated from. The good news is that it has finally crested a lot of places. The bad news is that it will take many weeks to finally go down to normal levels.

  2. #2DPete2011-05-23 07:06

    Yes sir, that looks very well done, they had the time and flood elevation to build it right. What a mess a wayward river makes!

  3. #3mitch5042011-05-23 08:55

    I agree that's an excellent bit of work, but does that look eerie to anyone else?

  4. #4Dozerboy2011-05-23 20:22

    They did a nice job it looks like must be ~8' of water around that house.

  5. #5Aussie Leroy2011-05-26 03:14

    Dam nice job

  6. #6heavylift2011-05-26 08:45

    I think that I would leave it. Build a ramp around the outside and down into the inside, throw some grass seed on . then your always ready for round 2..

  7. #7joispoi2011-05-26 14:45

    If it were to come to that, I´d push it all to one side and move the house on top of it.

  8. #8CEwriter2011-05-26 18:26

    Don't underestimate Round 2. Remember 1993, and then 1995?

  9. #9245dlc2011-05-26 22:18

    That's a common method around here for anybody who lives south of the Red River Valley either build a ring dike around your property or dig a hole and just pile it up and put your house on it. During the spring thaw it's not uncommon for people to boat or canoe to they're house.

  10. #10lgammon2011-05-26 22:51

    i am with the pile it up and build your house on it..

  11. #11wnydirtguy2011-05-30 20:34

    I wonder if they need a swppp report and silt fence for that project. LOL

  12. #12Dualie2011-06-08 23:48

    That is a serious not F'ing around levee. if he had to hire that out that little levee would probably cost 4x what that little house did. all its missing a lawn chair and a grinning redneck.

  13. #13Randy882011-06-09 00:48

    Just goes to show a man's house is his castle, but I agree with putting the house on top of the mound and doing it only once