Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Problem with 98 Case 580 L

DuraMaxMan66 ยท 2008-01-21 01:49

My backhoe I run for a local excavating company has developed a problem where a squealing/whistle sound is heard when it is abruptly throttled hard from starting out. It doesnt do it when you ease into the throttle. When you throttle hard its heard and only for like 2 secs then it goes away. I have a suspicion in my head that it could be the belt slipping under the torque of the engine? Anyone else have any idea what it could be? Or maybe experienced it themselves?:beatsme

Replies25
  1. #1Serv2008-01-21 08:27

    My guess is one of your accessory belts. My JD dozer started to do that and it just needed a fan belt adj. and it went away.

  2. #2cat3202008-01-21 11:27

    definatly a belt issue have you replaced it yet? if the belt gets glazed it will slip and make that squelling noise.

  3. #3Cavalo2008-01-21 13:25

    If it does this noise especially when it is cold, it is the hydraulic oil pump having to push the cold oil harder and this results in the belt on the hyd. pump pulley slipping a bit. This can also happen when it is warm (the noise) but to a lesser extent. A simple belt adjustment will make the sound go away. I had the same problem on one of my earlier case machines. Although it could be just the belt slipping on the alternator or the air cond. pulleys as well, especially if it there are secondary belts to these components. A serpentine belt is less likely to slip due due the fact that they have self tensioners on them.............Hope this all helps..........

  4. #4DuraMaxMan662008-01-21 13:32

    Im not sure how long ago the belt was replaced or tightened, I will have to check it out better now that you guys have reported similar findings. I noticed it when I plowed snow with it the first time of the season and its been doin it ever since. Thanks for the info guys

  5. #5Elast2008-01-21 13:45

    A Case 580L has a serpentine belt. It also has a belt tensioner which is the most likely cause of the squealing. The tensioner vibrates alot and makes a noise like a squealing belt. The tensioners only last about 2000 hours before they need changing. I have changed about 300 so far in my career and have found that 85-90% of the time the squeal is the tensioner and not the belt. Case has used this setup since the start of the 580SE in 1983. Hope this helps......Elast:thumbsup

  6. #6DuraMaxMan662008-01-21 18:39

    Thanks Elast!

  7. #7melben2008-01-21 20:36

    Duramaxman , the pump on the L series run from a front pulley mounted coupler directly, no belt drive there!! Spray a bit of wd40 or similar lube on the tensioner and belt to see if the problem shuts up temporarily. As previously stated it is a serpentine type belt. BTW I work for your local Case dealer about 7 miles from Penn Tech. Call the service dept sometime and ask for Mel, Anyone in the Williamsport Pa. area knows where we are if they are involved in the construction business.

  8. #8Elast2008-01-22 08:48

    Great advice. I also work for a Case dealer (25 years) Ontario Canada. Nice to meet you. Elast

  9. #9DuraMaxMan662008-01-22 14:34

    ohhh....Waltz's, This is Getgen's hoe as a matter of fact. He's bought both of his hoe's from there and back in november bought a 440CT and had the controls transfered to CAT.....I'm sure he knows who you are...I'll say somethin to him next time I'm there.

  10. #10JS580SL2008-01-23 10:20

    Another noise problem on a L series to mention is the muffler mount bolts. The bolts snapped on ours and when the engine is brought down to an idle it rattles. Only at an idle and sometimes under load. 1 bolt wouldnt come out so we used lighter duty bolts to replace the remaining 3 that way if they snap again its easy to drill and use easy outs. Other wise we'd have to replace the manifold.

  11. #11Elast2008-01-23 12:05

    This was and still is an issue with these machines. Case never really came up with a "solid" repair. There is a bulletin from Case which does address the issue and works on most units. Call your local dealer and ask for: NLB SB 004 2001 This bulletin will help. Elast

  12. #12VINNY5802008-01-23 15:39

    Elast i have a 580 sle 1998 and my manifold bolts have broken off would i be able to get that information from my local dealer here in england ? its a pain at low idle.

  13. #13Elast2008-01-23 15:53

    Not sure in England is its same bulletin#. PM me with your fax number and I will send to you. Elast

  14. #14JS580SL2008-01-23 18:59

    One suggestion I got was to turn the idle up a little. Thing is though, the idle already seams somewhat high on it. Either way we've been happy with the machine. Myself personally wouldnt trade it for any other machine.

  15. #15Elast2008-01-24 08:15

    Turning up the idle did help a little. 900-1000 RPM is not out of the question. The whole vibration issue started after CDC (Case/Cummins) went to the first stage of emmission control. The changes to the engine made it harder starting and it vibrated more. All SL owners can attest to the amount of exhaust stacks that broke off due to this vibration. Just after the release of the 580SM (Tier 1 Certification) CDC started to install balancers to address some of the vibration issues. It is really to bad that to meet emmission certification ALL engine manufacturers have made changes that have taken away both startability and engine smoothness. I regularly talk to other dealers who are having all the same issues as Case is. Elast PS Can a Mod or Admin have a Smile made with a Canadian flag for us Canadians to use

  16. #16VINNY5802008-01-24 14:42

    Elast thanks for the reply but call me stupid flanders whats pm mean please [newbee]:beatsme jon

  17. #17Elast2008-01-24 15:20

    Private message, click on my name and the message box will come up.

  18. #18Cavalo2008-01-25 12:17

    Great idea Elast! Did you directly ask the moderator for this?? If not.......I certainly will!

  19. #19Elast2008-01-25 14:36

    No I did not directly ask. Please go ahead and ask. Elast

  20. #20Steve Frazier2008-01-25 15:53

    Are you cannucks blind or what???:canada:wink2

  21. #21Elast2008-01-25 15:59

    Sorry, stupid me:canada PS love the avatar, Marks my fav driver also, have to change to show #8 this year!

  22. #22Elast2008-01-25 16:03

    Bulletin is in your email now Elast:canada

  23. #23Phil2008-01-25 20:53

    I like it too. Phil:canada

  24. #24DuraMaxMan662008-01-26 17:40

    fftopic:crazy

  25. #25Cavalo2008-01-27 16:54

    :canada:canada:canada:canada:canada:canada:canada:canada:canada:canada..........I guess I was blind as well, but now that I see it you can expect to see alot of it!..........hence this messsage