Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Problem with Cat 955k

Knhill ยท 2014-01-24 15:52

Today I was working with my 955k and it started losing power in the right track.It would track somewhat straight but would not turn to the left. All the fluid levels were fine and i have had no trouble with it previously but it was very cold here today. Any suggestion would be appreciated in help trouble shoot the problem. Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1Mobiltech2014-01-24 17:18

    Sounds like the right steering clutch is slipping. First make sure the linkage on the control is moving freely and not holding the clutch in the released position. You might need to adjust the clutch controls if there is not any free travel.

  2. #2Bob/Ont2014-01-24 19:01

    What happens when you try to steer in each direction? Listen for the drive loading up on the side that it will not steer to. Come on back now. Later Bob

  3. #3Knhill2014-01-24 19:26

    Every thing in the linkage seems fine, not holding the clutch open. When trying to turn left the right track wont turn the machine. I can't hear any noticible sound difference. When I track straight (forward and reverse) the track has power but not as much as the left track. I used 30w oil but when colder it calls for 10w and it was below freezing here today, so I don't know if that would make any difference or not.

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-01-24 20:21

    it could be the linkage under the clutch cover is too tight. Have you checked that or just the external linkage. The oil viscosity shouldn't affect it much after its run a while it will warm the oil. Do you know the serial number.

  5. #5Knhill2014-01-24 21:01

    Just the external linkage but I will check the internal linkage tomorrow hopefully. I am not sure of the serial number but it is a later model k right before the switch to the L series. What would cause the linkage to tighten because it has ran perfectly for an older machine for the 4 months or so I have had it. I really do appreciate the input. I am fairly knowledgeable of the newer rear engine machines as those are mainly the ones I run, but the older one I bought for use around the house is simpler which is a good thing for a farm machine but the non hydrostat trans. is something I have not really dealt with. Again I really appreciate the help. Thanks

  6. #6Mobiltech2014-01-24 21:05

    As the clutch wears it loses the free travel in the linkage and has to be adjusted to allow for that, just like a clutch in a truck loses freepedal.

  7. #7kb9tci2014-01-24 22:01

    I picked up a 955L this fall and had a clutch that would not grab. I ended up pulling off the cover and found that there was rust on the plunger for the clutch valve body. The external linkage moved fine, but the spring would not return the plunger to fully engage the clutch. It was caused by condensation. The oil was quite milky since the machine has spent many a year outside. I shined the rust off the shaft and changed oil and filter and it's good as new.

  8. #8Nige2014-01-25 08:39

    I never mentioned it up to this point (forgot TBH), but although your 955 may have a "L" decal on it, by Serial Number it's actually a very late 955K......

  9. #9kb9tci2014-01-25 09:56

    Not to hijack the thread, but here is something interesting. I've wondered the same thing, myself. Take a look at this: http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_955K/955L_Crawler_Loader

  10. #10Nige2014-01-25 12:38

    You may be correct, all I know is that when I put your specific Serial Number in SIS it comes up as "955K". That article may explain why.

  11. #11d9gdon2014-01-25 15:03

    Nige, SIS isn't right sometimes either. My old 955 12A63xx is in SIS as a 955C, but mine is a 955E as the serial number break was at 12A5792 when they updated it with a D6 undercarriage and some other minor updates. There's no 955E in SIS.

  12. #12kb9tci2014-01-25 15:43

    My parts and service manuals are both goofy. Manuals say 955L on front and have 955K diagrams alongside 955L ones. Must have had too many extra parts on the shelf needing used up ***

  13. #13kb9tci2014-02-08 09:30

    Curious if you had any luck! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  14. #14Knhill2014-02-09 16:12

    I started it up the day after I had the problem and it was considerably warmer and the loader ran perfect. I had no problem with the clutches. I have not used it since because it has been snowing and below freezing here the last couple of weeks so i'll see what happens when it warms up and the snow melts.