Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Problems with massy ferguson 245 diesel

randy79 ยท 2014-01-28 19:00

I have a massy 245 diesel it started running rough after 1100 rpm. I checked fuel lines and changed primer pump thinking it was not getting enough fuel no different. I had to use the tractor to move some snow and ran it for about half hour and now see fuel I think at the top of the muffler. When the unit is running and I use a little quick start in the air cleaner it run smooth. I can't tell if its under fuelling or over. How can I tell if its a injector problem or injection pump thanks for any help

Replies8
  1. #1bill onthehill2014-01-28 20:27

    Sounds like the fuel may be gelling on it. Try warming up the fuel tank nice and warm. Injectors don't like jello.

  2. #2randy792014-01-28 21:51

    Thank for the info but the tractor is in a heated shop and it does it So not sure yet what to think thank you for the suggestion

  3. #3Delmer2014-01-28 22:53

    If the injector pump is starving for fuel like you first thought, I'd expect it to stall when you put a load on it, not when you run at "fast idle". Will it rev up to normal speed? and does it sound the same from 1,100 up? No idea what to make of the quick start improving it??? Did it run OK the whole half hour aside from the roughness? The usual procedure to rule out injectors is to loosen the lines one line at a time, the one that doesn't make it run worse isn't working right. You can then swap two and see if the injector is the issue or the cylinder/pump, and do a compression test to check the cylinder.

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-01-28 23:44

    Possibly a fuel pump timing problem if it's at higher rpm. Did you touch anything on the fuel pump before this happened.

  5. #5old12014-01-29 17:14

    You probably have already checked this; but I will just relay my past experience. Though my problem wasn't on a Massey. We had a problem on a tractor, that seemed like the situation you describe. So, first off we changed the primary and secondary fuel filters; not knowing how long they had been on the tractor, as we just bought it. The fuel starving problem, ( so it seemed), was till there. Of course we didn't want to get into the pump, if we didn't need to. Then somebody remembered, they had a starving problem years before. There was a screen at the injection pump, that turned out to be clogged. We cleaned it and the problem was fixed. I don't know if your pump has a screen; but it may be a place to look. And a lot cheaper than getting into injectors and and the pump. old1

  6. #6randy792014-01-29 22:30

    The tractor won't rev over 1100 that's just how high it will go. It will idle. For the half hour it ran bad to. I have not touched the fuel pump timing so it does not run good at all. I never thought of a screen I will check thanks. It does not run well enough to crack injectors and hear and differences

  7. #7Delmer2014-01-30 11:38

    Huh? did you try it already? I would think if it's running real rough and you disconnect one of the good cylinders then it would be obvious. If you tried it and got no difference then I'd look at the fuel supply to the pump.

  8. #8wood2015-12-15 17:32

    Did you have any success with your massey?