Just purchased new 260 excavator. Have always ran a manual thumb, but want to put hydraulic thumb on my first new machine! Looking for experienced opinions on wether to purchase progressive or regular hydraulic thumb. I'm also going to be using a hydraulic coupler on the setup. Also--does anyone have Any experience with esco hydraulic thumbs and couplers. Thinking of this brand because I have a new 48" esco bucket! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thx
If you have the choice, progressive offers a much larger range of motion which will be well worth it over the life of the machine.
Thanks for the input sir. I'm leaning in that direction. Any more insight much appreciated!!!
Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap, you'll be left with a heap. Going first class only costs a little more, if you go first class the first time. )
My sentiments too!! I have been looking at many brands.....do you have a preference?
I'm sure there are many videos on YouTube of excavator's running both types. Watch a few and you'll see the difference in how much further around the thumb follows the bucket. If you think that will be a benefit to you then spend the extra money. I've not priced thumbs lately, how much more is a progressive? I've dealt with an Esco quick change on a Hitachi ZX330 but not their thumbs.
There a few and I understand the difference in range of motion. Ive looked at both on friends excavators and watched you tube. I guess what question I'm really wondering is: which one is the toughest most durable of the two---progressive or standard. How do you like the esco coupler? I've priced all the top brands and they are running from $8000 to $10,500 for the progressive link thumb and $7800 to $9325 for the quick coupler. The dealer I bought the new hoe from suggested staying with the same brand thumb & quick coupler as the bucket. It has a esco 48" heavy duty rock bucket. In my area esco thumbs are not very common that I know of and other dealers sell other products. Looking at there history and what they offer I cant imagine them not making a top quality product. However, I'm sure that all the manufacturers that I've been quoted are all great quality. Thanks for the input
There a few and I understand the difference in range of motion. Ive looked at both on friends excavators and watched you tube. I guess what question I'm really wondering is: which one is the toughest most durable of the two---progressive or standard. How do you like the esco coupler? I've priced all the top brands and they are running from $8000 to $10,500 for the progressive link thumb and $7800 to $9325 for the quick coupler. The dealer I bought the new hoe from suggested staying with the same brand thumb & quick coupler as the bucket. It has a esco 48" heavy duty rock bucket. In my area esco thumbs are not very common that I know of and other dealers sell other products. Looking at there history and what they offer I cant imagine them not making a top quality product. However, I'm sure that all the manufacturers that I've been quoted are all great quality. Thanks for the input
We have an Esco mounted on a Deere 270. It is not progressive, and it has been a huge disappointment. It gets into the boom even when retracted all the way. We had to cut out part of the bracing of the thumb to stop this, which means we then had to put bracing on the outside to keep the tines from bending. The range of motion is limited so it's really only ideal when picking something straight down and out from stick vertical. We also have progressive thumbs and their downside is they share the stick/bucket main pin, so make sure you use a coupler, or you will regret trying to line all that stuff up if the bucket needs to come off for any reason. Our progressive thumbs are made by Tag. We just had one break recently and it was obvious the crack had started at the end of a weld joint, and they warrantied it even though it was out of warranty. What you plan to do with the attachment dictates what to spec and buy, and the product support is just as important, if they don't stand behind it, it aint worth buying. If at all possible, go look some used ones over before you buy, see where the patches are welded on, talk to owners that have done demo work, find out which ones will hold up before spending a load of cash. Good luck on whichever way you end up going.
I've ran 315's up to 350 cats with the progressive thumbs and a few others with a non and the non is a PITA!! It doesn't follow the bucket as good and the range of motion is way better in a linked thumb. One 330 we had the thumb had made a big dent in the boom from people running it into it. The linked one would always clear better.
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the input!! I have been recommended by 3 companies to go quick coupler with standard main pin thumb for less maintenance & more durability? I've narrowed it down to a Jrb coupler and rockland thumb. 90% of all couplers are made by hill, moller(Jrb), & dramone. Rockland even makes certain big name companies thumbs for them so I decided to go with them.....I told my guy main pin, but might tell him to send the pro link in morning instead!!!! I've spent way too much time in this, but I like to try & get the best product I can!!! Again thanks for all input & I hope to hear more opinions tonight as I try to make my final decision!!!
We have one of each. The standard is an Amulet, can't remember the brand of the other one. The Amulet one is hands down one of the heaviest built one I have seen. They both work great. If you don't use it constantly seriously consider a thumb bucket. I love having a thumb 25% of the time, the rest it is just extra weight to swing around.