I've had the privilege of being off work for 3 consecutive weeks, so I took advantage of the time and awesome weather to do a couple projects during this time. I did my chimney over, built my skyhook, and then dove into this truck head first for the rest of the time, until right now actually...just taking a lunch/screw-around break. I just had another oversized hunk of the baked zucchini I made last night for lunch while entering this important piece of historical information (see TGIF: I am a zucchini addict, 9/1/12.) It's a gem in the rough, as it deserves all the TLC it can get. When I brought it home (actually when I first saw it...) I thought I was crazy, but knew with elbow grease, sweat equity and a lot of rubbing and shining, painting, wrenching, cussing, etc., I could whip her back into roadworthy/show-quality shape eventually. The truck has a rebuilt 3406A Cat, a reman 15 speed, and 2 reman'd differentials from Camerota's in Enfield, Connecticut with the tags on all components to varify that claim. The whole process has been satisfying to me, doing it all alone, with little to no money spent on anything to this stage. I do have a wish list that will require a small fortune to be inherited, a bank robbery to be pulled off without a hitch, or just a bag 'o money to fall off a passing Wells Fargo Armored Car truck that I would just say it was donated to a worthy cause. To back that claim up, I'd bring the truck (once completed from the found cash) to various charity and contributory events to justify the lack of turning it into it's rightful owners...See how easy it is to rationalize wrong into right sometimes? Anyways, back to reality. The first pic was what she looked like (wooof, very rough...) at the place I bought it in New Hampshire. I drove it 100 miles home this way, which isn't recommended nor encouraged. But she drove like a champ, no vibrations, rode awesome and I knew it would be worth the work to repurpose this old classic into a nice piece in time. Just some random pics of the past couple of weeks of labor, many more pics were taken, but these are the quickest ones I could throw on the site for now. I have another 1981 Freightliner cabover I did the same thing to, I have a 1973 IH Transtar on the way, and 2 Autocars too. A 1968 and a 1972...can't wait for those Autocars!
Looking good . I always liked that model.
I am not a cabover fan in general, but the KW is the only one I like the looks of. I did a 1:25th model of one when I was a kid.
Thanks for not only posting the pics, but for saving the old girl for future generations to appreciate. I also prefer a hood, but some cabovers are classics and worth the effort, the K100 Aerodyne being at the top of that list(in my book).
I appreciate the words of encouragement tireman. My passion lately has been for finding and trying to salvage any old trucks I can from the hands of the scrappers.I've been lucky so far to get ahold of running, driving ones too. And yes, the VIT Aerodyne's are of a class all their own. This one I have here has become an obsession now, having put in so much effort to get to this stage as it sits. Plenty more to do, but that's what a hobby is all about.
There is a towing company around my area that has a sweet cabover freightliner rollback. I have only seen the truck twice, but someone did a nice job on it. Black cab and everything else is chrome or polished, really makes me want one.
I love cabover trucks. There was a nice freightliner cabover hauling trees from idaho up here the other day. should have got a picture.
That Aerodyne is a rare piece these days.Hard to find a nice C-model like that.My dad and I both have K100-C Aerodynes,his is a 79' and mine is a 80'.Both trucks have 3408 Cats in them.His with a 15spd with 3.90's and mine with a 13spd and 4.11's.Glad you saved this cabover from the scrappers cause Ive seen a many of them scraped.
Who put the pete low air leaf suspension on it.
Pete low air leaf beats the heck out of 8 bag
Very nice. Always loved the Aerodynes.
Heres my 80'
My dads 79'
Nice rides
Looking good, ten years or so ago I was kicking around the idea of buying a rig came across a bout hauling outfit selling off some k100 with 250"wb love a long frame like a girl showing leg. It make it that must easier to relax when you can stretch a hammock out between the back of the cab and the trailer
Thanks,both are Cat powered.
I love the cabover,brings back memories of my youth watching BJ and the Bear! Good luck,can,t wait to see the finished product!
WHAT? " my dads 79" and that's it. That's a tease.. looks like it has won some trophies. I like the tough look of these cab overs. Almost went that route till I learned the sleepers didn't go down to the floor
Nothing like no storage, and puttin your pants on lying down. But they sure can look cool.
Yes BJ and the bear. Always was home to watch that show. Thanks to youtube I can relive my youth.