Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Project Zeus

outlawspeeder · 2021-07-20 23:37

Ok stop laughing. Is Case on the right track or did they jump the tracks? An EV 580? This came out in 2020... Any seen one? How is it doing? I am not in the business or even use mine that much. When I do, its running none stop for the most of 6 to 8 hours. The site state that most drag thier 580s back to the shop at night. I just can't see dragging a 580 to a site, dragging it back to the shop and back the next day... I normally see the backhoe parked to block an open hole, to hold equipment in place from sticky fingers, or just sitting. I know towing a 580 around has to burn more fuel... Does it really make sense to have a EV 580 if you're in business? Looking for thoughts. https://media.cnhindustrial.com/nor...-loade/s/b470aeb9-3608-4074-8229-8dc2ea77dd6f

Replies39
  1. #1_Weldman_2021-07-20 23:45

    Nope not unless you have 3 phase to charge it as that is what is required.

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-07-21 08:31

    In my area the electric company has to furnish a phase convertor if a customer needs 3 phase. Many farmers need 3 phase for grain bin dryers.

  3. #3_Weldman_2021-07-21 08:57

    Guess it's cheaper than running another wire and adding another transformer. You can actually buy phase converters online, don't need a company to bring you one in. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2810955208...QkDvCmncRFYrGCu2vRKr|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

  4. #4aighead2021-07-21 11:00

    I can't tell from the design but we have forklifts at work on which you can pretty quickly change out batteries. I'm guessing these don't have that feature but it'd be nice. I'd also hate to see one of those batteries explode or catch on fire, it's tough to put them out!

  5. #5_Weldman_2021-07-21 18:22

    Difference in these batteries in the Case and your forklift battery one is you don't need a BMS to charge the forklift battery. Which means that SB 350 plug you yank apart to change the forklift batteries out won't be the same industries plug you pull to pull one of these batteries out, it will have a port for the BMS too if it isn't all in one plug and it's a finicky plug one small error and it's ruined. Puncture a forklift battery and it's acid everywhere, puncture a lithium battery and you better have a class D extinguisher, a ABC or BC won't do it. That is if you catch it in time, after awhile it will go into a thermal run away which there is no stopping it.

  6. #6Vetech632021-07-21 18:41

    Let me know when they come out with an electric wife.

  7. #7CM19952021-07-21 20:03

    Sounds perfect to me and great way to buy time! I can see it now. Bid a tight schedule job on a ridiculous timeline and budget. GC calls and demands we be on site a week earlier than the schedule states. All I have to do is ask if the GC has the 3 phase power installed ready to charge our equipment... EV's have their place but this one size fits all mentality is not going to work.

  8. #8_Weldman_2021-07-21 20:13

    No you are irresponsible contractor, don't you know you are supposed to have one on standby ready already charged Just stick a few panels on the roof of it, it should suffice enough power to get you through

  9. #9CM19952021-07-21 20:38

    Damn Spud you sound like a new wave green project manager.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-07-21 22:19

    I'm probably wrong (again) but I believe the local power company furnishes and installs the phase convertors here. The ones I have seen looked like an electric motor.

  11. #11_Weldman_2021-07-21 22:42

    You might be right, I just know one can buy their own is all.

  12. #12Midnightmoon2021-07-22 06:19

    I've seen the Zeus got to run it too. It's currently on demo to utility companies. There is only a few out and case is testing the waters. Jd has one too and performed much worse as far as length of work time. This model is not what will be produced case is working on a complete electric build which this first one isn't. It's a electric retro fit. Basically this is for utilities and one day jobs. The utilities have been using electric excavators for some time. The electric motors dont run when your not digging. I'm sure some people dig 8 hours but in alot of situations your actual dig time is much less then 8 hours. Case has done okay on getting this machine to get through a average 8 hour day. Jd could only dig for about 45min from what utility company told me

  13. #13Swetz2021-07-22 07:12

    The power company I work for does not supply a converter for 3-phase power, to their customers. You want one, you are on the clink for it. Speaking of power companies; I bet this is the perfect machine for the power company, or any utility (gas, water, etc.). Lets face it, when the go out to make a repair, how many hours do they actually run the machine, even if it is a hot job, and they stay till it is complete. The actual operation of the backhoe is not that much. Heck, one charge would last days...LOL Another thought is the fact that this machine will cost more. I am sure a power company will find a way (like they have done on electric drive ariel lifts) to get clean energy tax credits, so that it actually saves the utility money. For the little guy, I just do not see it. By the time the companies are ready to sell these machines, they will need a new battery pack---$$$$. The above stated, the electric technology has been around, and works well...i.e. hybrid/electric cars. forklifts, golf carts, hybrid/electric arial lifts, cruse ships, locomotive trains. etc.

  14. #14Midnightmoon2021-07-22 08:12

    Full electric vehicles are a bit different then hybrids or locomotives and cruise ships (those are deisel over electric) some large boats are all electric but there is a bit of room for batteries. Making full electric cars or equipment is a bit more tricky because of the lack of room for battery. Some new silica batteries look promising but the cost makes it out of reach for the average buyer. Who would pay twice as much for a machine that needs to be charged every night and cant hit the 8 hour full work window? Price will come down and batteries will continue to improve. Utility green tax credits will get the ball rolling but honestly do you want your tax dollars funding it?

  15. #15Swetz2021-07-22 09:50

    Agreed...My point was more that the technology to run things on electric is well developed, and has more than proven reliable.

  16. #16edgephoto2021-07-22 22:29

    I work for one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world. We are invested in going 100% Battery Electric Vehicle, BEV, over the next 10-15 years. The dirty secret is once battery factories produce enough batteries vehicles will cost much less to produce. There are about 10% of the parts in a BEV as in an internal combustion engine. So long term costs to produce will be much lower. Less parts to buy and less workers to make parts. Big savings. With where the emission regs are headed I see heavy equipment going battery eventually too. Basically for the same reasons as the auto industry. Making stuff to pass emissions is getting very expensive with all the controls and devices. One of the reasons I chose to buy a pre-emissions machine was simplicity. If we can put enough of a battery in a machine for it to operate the machine for 8 hours it will be a no brainer. Instead of the guy running around a job site fueling machines there either will be temp electric service for charging or a generator will fire up and charge the machines. Battery tech needs to make another major advance before electric will replace internal combustion. Trust me I hate change and would prefer to not convert to BEV. I hate them.

  17. #17_Weldman_2021-07-23 00:00

    Greed has other things to say about anything going cheaper, it's like taxes, once in place they don't leave.

  18. #18Tones2021-07-23 00:10

    I think my wife has a BOB(Battery Operated Boyfriend),should I buy a lithium battery for it?

  19. #19JLarson2021-07-23 00:37

    They just made it cause they know they can pawn that type of crap off on utilities, so they can say how green they are. All the while 25 lineman idle 12 line trucks lol.

  20. #20Swetz2021-07-23 06:53

    A big LOL...

  21. #21Swetz2021-07-23 06:54

    Only if you want him to be the Energizer bunny .

  22. #22Swetz2021-07-23 06:56

    Hmm, a generator...why not just put a diesel engine in it then. Oh, that's right, that wouldn't be green...LOL

  23. #23edgephoto2021-07-23 19:03

    You are learning. If we don't see the way batteries are built or electricity is generated then it is good. Stop ruining a good argument with facts.

  24. #24DMiller2021-07-23 20:01

    Noted on Google News that a CA bus transit company is losing its EV Buses to extreme heat, several caught fire during charging and others are drooping as they soften body wise in the mid day sun.

  25. #25_Weldman_2021-07-23 23:08

    https://freebeacon.com/biden-admini...ency-to-consider-shelving-electric-bus-fleet/ Not just California it’s Pennsylvania too https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/07/19/report-philadelphias-electric-bus-fleet-in-complete-shambles/

  26. #26AzIron2021-07-23 23:55

    Case spent the better part of 5 years building there electric backhoe Deere went from paper to a machine in 8 months in 2019 deere had only a concept of electric machine and no real plans to build a test machine that changed when case released there's In a market demand we will be shoehorned into electric machines I already am shopping for a battery powered mini ex because that's what customers want

  27. #27JLarson2021-07-24 00:07

    I know how they operate lol. I truly enjoy when i hear someone say I got a deal on this used truck from, insert any of our power companies here. Yeah it might be low miles but its got about 1,000,000,000,000,0000 idle hours on it bwwhahahahhah.

  28. #28JL Sargent2021-07-24 07:30

    It gets worse than that. We have 3 coal fired power plants still going strong here in Alabama ............. making electricity that's used to charge these vehicles. https://www.alabamapower.com/company/about-us/generating-plants.html

  29. #29DMiller2021-07-24 08:17

    Currently 75% of MO Electric is Coal fired, considerable hydro and a number of CTG units, wind is less than 3% and solar less than 1%. MO state usage is close to 2gW PER DAY during summer where some power is bought off grid to supplement inability to produce enough baseload. We as a state could use several hundred megawatts of excess generator capacity even with economics programs to reduce usage and mechanisms designed to require less energy where massive homes keep being built, larger grain elevators are going up with electrical driers not LP or NG, more use of electricity is garnered to do what petroleum had been where there is a limit and we are close to seeing that net result.

  30. #30Swetz2021-07-24 08:24

    Well, I read the article, and instantly found the problem....the government. If the government would stay out of it, the companies would perfect the technology, and when it was feasible consumers would purchase them. The govt is propping up a market (with our money), because they want it to be feasible, not cuz it is. I fully believe the electric vehicle market will come in to its own. As another member here noted, when we make some more energy storage advances. As far as the green agenda, I am not sure the net change to emissions when we go electric is going to be as great as they think. As pointed out above, the electric is being made by dirty sources of energy. No auto would be allowed to spew out what comes out of their stacks. And, if you want to look at total pollutants, lets look at what environmental damage is done making the solar panels and batteries we love so much...both with relatively short life expectancies. I am all about not destroying the environment, but sometimes I feel like we make it worse in the name of saving it...anybody buy a 5 gallon gas can lately...spills all over ayy...government at work making the environment cleaner.

  31. #31Swetz2021-07-24 08:31

    Another big LOL!! Check this out, the utility company I work for which touts itself as a green company (they are selling all our fossil assets) figured out that the vehicles are idling a million hours. Not because of the environment, but because of the huge cost of fuel...LOL. Now they are tracking idle hours and telling the guys they are not allowed to idle any more. Heck, when I started about 34 years ago, they didn't put AC in them, so no one wanted to run them all day ...seems they were going green in the old days!

  32. #32CM19952021-07-24 09:50

    The Miller Steam Plant in West Jefferson mines its coal on property cutting the transport costs down.

  33. #33John C.2021-07-24 12:58

    The way to energy efficiency will be evolutionary and not revolutionary. The difference between those two words is time frame. I can see small electric vehicles coming sooner rather than later. Total distance is the problem and in the western US most working people have to commute in a personal use vehicle. It has been proved now that office workers can work from home and be taken off the commute or they have the opportunity to use public transportation. Blue collar trades though usually have multiple work sites, staggered in-service times, and small chances to use public transportation. Average commute times in the Seattle area right now are a little more than thirty minutes and average distance is somewhere around twenty miles one way. That would leave an electric vehicle with an advantage. That could be enhanced by the size and weight of the vehicle being kept to no more carrying capacity that two people at a time. Were I ever in that situation during my career, I would have jumped at an electric vehicle for the commute. But then again, not a lot of people working in a rural setting will have that option for a job, nor the flexibility in what they do to earn a living. Public transportation can only work in an urban setting. In Washington State, busses do not run from small town to small town. You catch a buss in one place and head for the city. The only way they can get you to another small town is if that town is on the way to the big city. They also don't go into another county. For those of you who know the lay out, I can't get on a buss in Enumclaw, in King County and ride to Buckley, in Pierce County, which is about four miles away. My options for work then demand I have to have a personal vehicle to live in either place. We have all been complaining about the just in time delivery of parts. I would maintain that we have been faced with the same situation in the labor market. Employers are spoiled by the fact that they have demanded the time frames when labor is available and have been able to suddenly change that time frame whenever they want. Monday the entire labor force might have a changed time to start and be required to work ten hours a day instead of eight. The usual situation that happened to me was having worked eight hours and grabbed going out the door at the end of a shift and having to go out in the field to fix a dead machine so a dead beat company could go to work at six the next morning. That situation would be impossible without liquid fuels to power the vehicle that I was required to use. So to wrap up this long winded thought project, I maintain the progress this country has made in the last 121 years is the through the use of personal vehicles and the availability of just in time labor. All the current problems being faced in the world today are based on energy use, population and depletion of natural resources. Fundamental changes are coming simply because things have to change in order to maintain a status quo. The hard part for all of us is that the status quo will have to change as well simply because the building blocks of the current status quo are becoming unavailable.

  34. #34Midnightmoon2021-07-26 08:17

    aziron that's funny case says the same thing that they built the backhoe in less then a year(added electric motors and batteries to a backhoe that's allready in production) that's straight from the case rep involved with it conception but who knows

  35. #3556wrench2021-07-26 09:44

    Whats old is new again saw it in a Western Development Museum in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan last week

  36. #36AzIron2021-07-26 11:23

    From what I was told case hired 2 or 3 people with supposed background experience in electric to build that Knowing what I know about deeres backhoe division the order probably came from outside the backhoe program to build one and make it public so to meet expectations of being at the leading edge of the market Personally I am starting to believe the technology that is needed to make the machine meet performance requirements already exists but between patent license and corporate bureaucracy of these monster companies it will be sone time before it gets sorted out I would bet fiat bought out some little start up that had most of the leg work done for cars and that paved the way for all the fiat subsidiaries to use the tech to venture into projects like electric backhoes

  37. #37John C.2021-07-26 11:28

    I get a couple of propaganda rags about machinery and as I recall Case worked with someone in the retrofit industry for batteries and controls to put their machine together. No one so far has anything in regards to a mass production machine that will supplant current technology. That a company can throw away tons of money on marketing something not close to any kind of production should indicate how bad people are being hosed on purchasing a new machine.

  38. #38Midnightmoon2021-07-26 12:13

    Yeah agreed. I know more then I should and wish I could say more about what I know about Zeus but it's all secrets. Electric self contained units are not around the corner by any means. I asked about removable battery packs and specifics on design and future design and case is off the mark in my opinion. No one listens to operators or mechanics when it comes to drafting up new ideas. Sure if they get enough complaints about not having cup holders 20 years later we have cup holders. The company that makes quick change battery packs at affordable prices will be on top

  39. #39Swetz2021-07-26 12:32

    If they can keep them light enough that they can be handled without the use of a crane.