I'm changing the oil in the final drives on my cat 315. One side went fine and now I'm ready to fill the other, the problem is there is something inside the fill hole blocking my oil spout from going into the hole. I can get a hose to fit in there if I need to, I just wanted to check if this is something I should be concerned about since the first side was not like this. Thanks in advance, Matt
Try lifting the that side track up using the bucket and rotate the final drive 1 complete revolution. If there is no load on the final it won't do any harm not to have oil in it. What's behind the fill hole is probably one of the planetary pinions - not unusual.
That's a newbie question I only just figured out the last time I changed my oil. Rotate the tracks a little bit and that planetary gear will disappear. Then you can pump in the thick gear oil no problem. Good luck
Thanks guys! Yes I am a newbie 100%.
Watglen is anything but a newbie, so if he just came across it that means there's always something new to learn.
I spent over 40 yrs at it and still learned something new almost every day. Later Bob
If everything worked the way it was supposed to, the day you stop learning should be the day you die ..........