Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Promac questions

lmm600 ยท 2021-01-27 15:21

Would anyone happen to know anything about a Promac GBW 15 generator (2014)? Especially any troubleshooting or even a way to get info on manuals for this machine. Seems like there isn't much out there on internet about them.

Replies27
  1. #1lmm6002021-02-02 14:18

    this generator has a 3 cyl yanmar diesel (3tnv88). would anyone happen to know where its engine speed sensor is? Keep getting a rpm fail code in the controller and can't seem to find where its getting its signal.

  2. #2spark2021-02-03 08:15

    Mag pickup usually on bell housing unless they are using generator frequency and the generator is not putting out voltage. What control is being used?

  3. #3jhonygee2021-02-03 09:23

    if the Yanmar diesel engine is 3tnv88, tell me the exact model . I have a 3tnv88 engine manuals I can send mail.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2021-02-03 09:45

    Is this an electronic engine or mechanical? What controller are we talking about, engine or generator controller? Who made the controller, picture of it in case somebody rebadged it.

  5. #5lmm6002021-02-03 16:31

    AC03, I think. I'm also going to say mechanical, even though the controller does everything, from starting to shut down. That is my problem, I have three of these generators that I need to get operating and all three are doing different things. #1; controller says its going through its prestart, cranking etc and the engine is doing nothing at all. #2; actually runs (so far, after a lot of work) haven't checked if it is making power. #3; Controller starts it , cranks for 5 seconds and shuts down. Has a rpmmeasfail code. So I'm guessing its getting a no rpm code and controller is shutting down like it supposedly should.

  6. #6lmm6002021-02-03 16:33

    How do I find exact model?

  7. #7lmm6002021-02-03 16:35

    AC03 is what it says on controller face. I think, I'm not near them at the moment. I have three that I'm working on.

  8. #8MarshallPowerGen2021-02-03 22:07

    Looking online I don't recognize the controller from the pictures of the Pramac GBW series and agreed, they don't seem to have much info online. There should be a silver metal tag on the valve cover that will have 3TNV88-**** and engine number which will give more info on specifics to the engine. Where in Idaho are you located, and who imported these things that you have 3 to work on? Are they rental units, boats, standby?

  9. #9Birken Vogt2021-02-04 10:59

    It seems to be the week for strange generators having strange problems, good thing is, they all work about the same.

  10. #10lmm6002021-02-04 15:55

    3tnv88 EPAIV, is on one label. For standby. Small town back ups. I believe they came from San Jose CA. Through a dealer in CdA. MarshallPowerGen I am in Worley just south of you I guess.

  11. #11MarshallPowerGen2021-02-05 09:15

    That EPA IV is just a Tier 4 tag (so definitely not from Idaho, haha). Did they come from Northwest Generators, by chance? They always seem to be moving "different" stuff, and yeah I'm just up the road from you. I'll see what all Yanmar docs I have stashed for that series of engine and maybe we'll find one that matches what you're working on. You might want to shoot an email to Pramac with serials and see if they can email you anything they have in the meantime.

  12. #12lmm6002021-02-05 10:48

    Not from Northwest Generators. Some outfit just north of them (I believe its Absolute Power, thats a whole different story). From what i've found out Pramac only exists outside of the U.S., Generac bought them a few years ago. One generator we have got to run I think correctly. The other two run only when I "hot wire" certain circuits. Like the shut off solenoid and fuel lift pump. One has a rpmmeasfail code and the other has that code along with a alt fail code, even though on its own control screen its says its charging 13.8v. I need to figure out how to post pictures.

  13. #13MarshallPowerGen2021-02-05 15:53

    Dug around a bit on my lunch and think I found your controller manual online. https://www.scribd.com/document/293509863/AC03-2-0-Reference-Guide Scanning through it shows your code as missing signal from mag pickup, so doubt it's reading gen frequency. I have some Yanmar files for those series of engines I'll bring home this weekend and can email to you.

  14. #14lmm6002021-02-07 10:50

    how does it read gen frequency? Any info at all would be appreciated.

  15. #15MarshallPowerGen2021-02-07 12:41

    I have a pile of TNV series manuals I can email you, but without knowing the specific engine it might just add more confusion. I did look in a Yanmar T4 reference book and found where your crank sensor should be located. If you can provide any pictures of the engines we can narrow it down by the fuel system type. Some controllers will read engine speed off of the generators frequency/HZ at the AC output, the sets you're working on are most likely reading off of a crank sensor from what I could gather in that AC03 manual link above.

  16. #16lmm6002021-02-07 15:40

    I can't find anything on bell housings. wish I could figure out how to get post pictures ( I have pix of most things on generators) . Also, controller says generators that run are putting out 220v and 60 htz. Would you have any recommendations on anyone that might be interested in coming down and working on these things?

  17. #17lmm6002021-02-08 12:36

    Hopefully these help...

  18. #18MarshallPowerGen2021-02-08 21:16

    Sent you a PM.

  19. #19lmm6002021-02-09 16:20

    Marshall (got your pm, thanks); can't find anything at all on bellhousings that resembles a sensor. What is this about a frequency sensor that can sense the rpm? My son and I are working slowly almost wire by wire and we're making some progress. But thus rpmeasfail fault is driving us nuts. The other faults you can work your way through them, but since we cannot find the way these engines measure rpm its aggravating. Anyone with any input, please help!

  20. #20Birken Vogt2021-02-09 20:22

    I was working on a Kubota recently that had its RPM sensor up on the cam gear or something. It was one of those non-adjustable plastic sensors with a tab with 1 bolt off to the side, and 3 wires to it so it was some kind of active sensor that takes power to work. So it could be elsewhere on the engine than the starter gear.

  21. #21MarshallPowerGen2021-02-10 00:09

    If the controller reads off of frequency, it would not be from a sensor. It would be AC leads from the generator output to the controller, and be reading frequency from the generator AC output. Your controller is either going to read RPM through output HZ, an engine speed sensor (flywheel/crank/cam), or the engine alternator hz.

  22. #22Midnightmoon2021-02-10 07:03

    Trace wire back to its origin. There is probably a few connections from input to controller. Maybe just a bad connection. You'll also find the pick up

  23. #23Midnightmoon2021-02-11 04:31

    One thing to check that I have come across. Make sure there is a diode on starter solenoid between the 2 small lugs. Also alternator needs one on excitter wire. Not sure if yours is set up that way without a wire diagram but many generators are. If there isn't a diode or diode is bad it will cause issues at controller. There are diodes on relays as well that are external to the relay.

  24. #24lmm6002021-02-11 14:03

    I'm finding out the alternators aren't a common unit. They have a pig tail hook up that has a diode and resistor. One of these has a broken resistor and I've had three different shops just say sorry but..... I have another shop that I'm going to try this afternoon (they say they can check all components), only about 50 miles away. Then its back to a heck of a lot of wire tracing/checking.

  25. #25Midnightmoon2021-02-11 18:03

    I just finished up a second generator that the customer changed the alternator and it didnt charge afterwards. All you need is a diode from napa and a mini fuse holder

  26. #26lmm6002021-03-04 18:25

    Just an update. Got two generators that appear to be operating correctly (key word appear). Third one is really aggravating. At first it would go into its start sequence and engine would turn over but not start (rpmmeasfail). After doing some testing and checking now it does nothing. Controller says its going thru its sequence but nothing happens at fuel solenoid, lift pump, starter. Also, Marshall: Robert from Selkirk Power has spoken with me a few times but always cancels when he says he can look at them. Another fellow from Rathdrum really wants to shy away when I mention Pramac.

  27. #27MarshallPowerGen2021-03-06 15:24

    So after checking a few things it's not doing anything? That sounds like a wiring issue, and I'd be verifying the signal voltage for the different components coming from the controller and where they end up. Glad to hear the other two appear to be operating correctly, and might be good to use as a reference for how your problem child is wired. I spoke with Robert last weekend, didn't realize his primary field guy left a month or so ago, so he's operating solo and overwhelmed at the moment. Most of the folks doing generator work in this region don't seem to be interested in doing more than an oil change or selling a replacement. Troubleshooting takes time, and on an oddball machine without documentation or parts readily available can end up being a big loss that can't realistically get billed for.