Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Propane vs acetylene?

92U 3406 · 2022-10-02 20:07

I've used oxy-acetylene more or less exclusively my entire career. My garage at home has limited space so for curiosity sake, just wondering how well oxy-propane cutting and welding torches work since I can just rob the tank off my bbq for the rare occaision I need to heat, cut or braze.

Replies46
  1. #1Heavy Chevy2022-10-02 20:18

    I have never used it but have been tempted as I asked the guys at the steel yard about it. I noticed that they had these large tanks and as I inquired about it, they told me it was a lot cheaper....doesn't get quite as hot but does the job well. From my understanding you either need the torch or guages or maybe both to operate using propane. With the proper set-up, you can cut the same still....watched the guy cut 1" plate steel with no issues.

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-10-02 20:32

    And the proper tip for the torch. I have used both. I prefer the acetylene. If you already own an acetylene tank I would suggest keep using it. There has been long discussions on the pros and cons of the two gases on HEF.

  3. #392U 34062022-10-02 20:41

    As of right now I don't even have a torch kit or regulators. I don't really plan on doing much cutting besides the odd bolt, mostly just heating seized parts.

  4. #4Heavy Chevy2022-10-02 20:49

    Then I would stay with the oxy-acetylene as it would not be cost effective for you.

  5. #5skyking12022-10-02 20:51

    I got the proper rosebud for heating with propane. The cutting torch head is not an issue, it just works. I found about 70% of the heat for rosebud work with the same torch set and proper rosebud, and tons cheaper and more convenient. Cutting works fine. The only thing I recall from years ago was it was not so good for actual torch welding, but that is a lost art anyway with the small wirefeeds.

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2022-10-03 00:47

    I knew there was a thread on this before... HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7excavator2022-10-03 12:39

    A standard torch setup will work with propane, as was said, you just need the propane cutting tip. They sell regulators for propane and T grade propane hose but it isn't necessary. A standard acetylene regulator will thread into a propane tank. There is a small learning curve to use it but anyone who can cut with acetylene should be able to use propane, the one downside is you cannot gas weld with propane. I used acetylene for over 30 years and switched about 10 years ago and will never go back. I especially like using it for heating with a rosebud, virtually impossible to have it pop back when you overheat the head.

  8. #8nowing752022-10-03 15:01

    from my understanding it will not weld.

  9. #9colson042022-10-03 22:34

    I used mine just yesterday. The oxy-propane torch tips are easy to find at any welding store, online, amazon etc. I have sizes 0 through 3 for cutting tips. I also bought the propane rosebud. It also works very well. I got into using propane because of up front cost. A new acetylene bottle was over $200 +initial fill. A 20# propane tank is $60 locally and includes first fill. I can get that refilled for $20 virtually anywhere. I already had torch and regulators, just had to buy the propane cutting tips. There's a slight learning curve, but tips from guys on here have helped me get more efficient at using it.

  10. #10willie592022-10-03 23:05

    And I'll throw this in there just to stir the pot, I've used both propane and acyt, yeah, they different, but both get the same result, slicing metal, and both do it with equal end result. What I offer is a cleaner cut, less slag. Back off the oxy setting just a bit. Yeah, it will take longer to "pre-heat" to start the cut, but once you start the cut it will make a cleaner cut with a sharp kerf at the surface of the metal and less slag on the back side of the metal that tends to keep the joint connected. Works for both propane and acyt.

  11. #11willie592022-10-03 23:37

    And firing up a propane tip. If you hold the torch in the air, turn on the gas and fire the tip, the flame goes out there so when you add the oxy it blows the flame away from the tip. Instead, turn on the gas and light the flame, place the tip on the metal you're going to cut with the tip at an angle, 20 to 30 degree angle, then turn on the oxy. This will keep the flame contained to the tip while you add oxy to the flame.

  12. #12spitzair2022-10-04 00:13

    I run oxy propane in my little garage here too and it works very well. Space is at a premium for me too and I just rob the tank from the bbq when I need to cut something. In my town there’s nobody who will fill your own bottle, I would have to drive 2 1/2 hours to the place I bought it to get it filled so the other bonus is that I’m not paying the monthly lease on the acetylene tank as well as the oxy tank, saves me a long drive, and a 20lb propane tank lasts me a good long time. Plus if I do run out there’s usually some place open where I can get propane versus the other guys are only open weekdays. I do have a small spare oxy tank that I bought for the odd occasion that I do run out on a weekend and when it runs out I usually wait for a trip to the big city and refill it then…

  13. #13DDoug2022-10-04 07:00

    Yup ^^^ Or you can also hot start it. Turn on a small amount of Ox first (so you can fell & hear it) add propane, and ignite it.

  14. #14colson042022-10-04 07:25

    I haven't tried that method yet, though I'll give it whirl later today.

  15. #15DDoug2022-10-04 07:32

    Not a lot of "Whirl" ... just a leettle bit.....

  16. #16Old Doug2022-10-04 09:33

    I use oxy propane for every thing but welding. I do alot of gas welding and have 2 torches rigged up.

  17. #17terex herder2022-10-08 07:17

    If you are cutting, just buy a Hypertherm plasma.

  18. #18Old Doug2022-10-08 07:50

    I have worked were they had them but i am so used to a torch that i never used one that much. If i ever get rich i will buy one but the one i need cost alot and the ones at work were always having problems maybe there better now.

  19. #1992U 34062022-10-08 08:42

    Can't have any cool tools until I get 220 ran out to the garage in another year or two.

  20. #20DDoug2022-10-08 09:07

    Kinda hard for cutting 1" and over......

  21. #21spitzair2022-10-08 18:30

    I have one my brother gave me that blew the main power board, got it replaced under warranty, did 6 cuts with it, worked good, went to use it again a few weeks later, main power board fried again and of course no warranty anymore… so it’s a very expensive paperweight now! I don’t feel like spending another $800 for the main board only have it sizzlefry again!

  22. #22oarwhat2022-10-09 07:23

    I was told Propane has more heat BTU's. Acetylene is a hotter flame. I find this to be true. I use both. Acetylene is better at say cutting a nut off a bolt without damaging the bolt. Propane will heat the whole thing and cut the bolt too.

  23. #23Old Doug2022-10-09 12:49

    There was a gas that came in a propane tank that was used for a torch was it propylene? Years ago there was some one that was selling something that did a demo here . It was in a propane bottle i think i checked and the welding supply shop said they could send my tank in and have it filled with it.

  24. #24Birken Vogt2022-10-09 12:57

    Propylene is right. I thought the cylinders had to be slightly higher pressure than propane cylinders but maybe I'm wrong. I do remember a trade mag that said that some of the California gas producers or refineries accidentally supply high concentrations of propylene accidentally because it is just what comes from their wells and nobody is checking. It burns pretty much the same as propane in your water heater or furnace but it is not desired for engine fuel because it can leave deposits and it does burn hotter for torch use.

  25. #25terex herder2022-10-12 18:45

    An 85 will handle 1", and they make up to a 125.

  26. #26crane operator2022-10-12 19:24

    There was a 95 for sale here a while back used at $1,200, and I should have just gone and bought it. I used a smaller one at a place I worked, and really liked it, I'm just such a cheap ba#####- I think "I've lived without one for this long, why buy one now?"

  27. #271693TA2022-10-12 22:21

    I have a somewhat older Hypertherm PowerMax 1650 that is 105A and will walk through 1" plate easily. I purchased it used from a guy that was building a CNC table and this one was not compatible with the software. I only do freehand cutting, against a straight edge, or some type of template so it works well. It is only used on clean steel or aluminum. Crusty stuff still get the fuel gas torch treatment. I have both propane on my engine drive machine, and acetylene in the shop. I still do some braze up work so haven't switched to propane in the shop.

  28. #28Tugger22022-10-12 22:44

    I use all 3 in my shop. Acetylene is my go to for all general cutting. I run propane on my profile burning table ,it does well on the thick plate 3" and 4" stuff. Propane/Oxy rosebuds are the best for heating ,no backfire just as your nearing completion of your heating job. I finally broke down and bought a Hypertherm 45 a couple of years ago ,its great for stuff up to 1/2" as theres very little distortion especially on long cuts like splitting beams into T sections. They all have their place if your doing lots of different work you need them all.

  29. #29DDoug2022-10-13 07:19

    Uh huh..... and yet somehow, with a small oxy torch on my cnc machine, 2" plate is no problem. Only electrical load is about 3 amps of 120 vac. I work with plasma cutting at 2" thick, they are 400 amp machines, with water cooling, lot's of aux. systems, etc. Very expensive. And the cut edge is still not as square nor as accurate as with oxy.

  30. #30terex herder2022-10-13 08:06

    Why only clean? Rusty stuff really makes the plasma shine over O/A. The rust insulates the plate from the O/A flame and sometimes stops the cut. The plasma doesn't care, rust is still electrically conductive so it just plows through.

  31. #31Tugger22022-10-13 08:55

    No disagreement on the acetylene for 2" plate ,it works well to . Propane seems to give the cleanest cut on the heavy stuff. As for Plasma on rusty stuff and thick paint id say its the best . Spent 4 months lats winter lifting sections cut off a coast guard ship that was being dismantled. 90% of the cutting was done with Hypertherm 8500 s . They work excelent on the worse rust flake and paint.

  32. #32Tugger22022-10-13 09:26

    A bit off topic,has anyone used gasoline/oxygen. I was given a system called Petrogen. It has a small gas tank that you pump up to feed gas to the torch. Ive never been brave enough to try it .It goes against everything ive been taught about mixing Hydrocarbons and oxygen,but apparently they work very well on thick and rusty steel. This link is an interesting US Department Of Energy report on its use for cutting up decomissioned nuke plants https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=162a...U1IvRE5EL094eS1HYXNvbGluZV9Ub3JjaC5wZGY&ntb=1

  33. #331693TA2022-10-13 09:27

    The only other plasma I've owned is a 35 amp Esab unit I purchased new in 1996. That was used extensively in the auto body shop. It ate consumables unless you were cutting absolutely clean steel. With the larger plasma unit I just carried on the same practice and have not used it on rusty stuff. Not saying I'm against doing that, and I will since the overall thought process is very pro use it on rusty steel. This machine came with a lot of consumables so room to experiment some. Thanks for the tips!

  34. #341693TA2022-10-13 09:28

    The only other plasma I've owned is a 35 amp Esab unit I purchased new in 1996. That was used extensively in the auto body shop. It ate consumables unless you were cutting absolutely clean steel. With the larger plasma unit I just carried on the same practice and have not used it on rusty stuff. Not saying I'm against doing that, and I will since the overall thought process is very pro use it on rusty steel. This machine came with a lot of consumables so room to experiment some. Thanks for the tips!

  35. #351693TA2022-10-13 09:28

    The only other plasma I've owned is a 35 amp Esab unit I purchased new in 1996. That was used extensively in the auto body shop. It ate consumables unless you were cutting absolutely clean steel. With the larger plasma unit I just carried on the same practice and have not used it on rusty stuff. Not saying I'm against doing that, and I will since the overall thought process is very pro use it on rusty steel. This machine came with a lot of consumables so room to experiment some. Thanks for the tips!

  36. #361693TA2022-10-13 09:30

    The only other plasma I've owned is a 35 amp Esab unit I purchased new in 1996. That was used extensively in the auto body shop. It ate consumables unless you were cutting absolutely clean steel. With the larger plasma unit I just carried on the same practice and have not used it on rusty stuff. Not saying I'm against doing that, and I will since the overall thought process is very pro use it on rusty steel. This machine came with a lot of consumables so room to experiment some. Thanks for the tips!

  37. #37Old Doug2022-10-13 09:35

    We had them at a place i worked . The thickest thing i ever cut was 14". We only used them on big jobs or thick steel. I wish i would have used them more to see what was what about them. I always lite them off a burning paper towel.

  38. #38Old Doug2022-10-13 09:41

    I had kind of forgot about this but i worked at a factory that closed . We scraped every thing there . I was working nights with one other guy they would leave us a list what to cut up. I used a plasma to do that i only used up one tip in about 4 weeks of cutting i wish i could remember the brand of plasma it was.

  39. #39colson042022-10-13 09:43

    I have never heard of Petrogen, but I found some of videos of them on YouTube.

  40. #40Jonas3022022-10-13 13:40

    Plasmas are great but means the OP is looking for heating parts and has limited space and power an oxy propane would suit just fine its not really a big commitment either propane tip for torch and go although I have used acy tips on propane plenty also I simply couldn't be without a torch for the work I do plasma is a great but optional tool Also the little tote type acy oxy torch kits work very well but do use gas fairly quickly https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Portable-Cutting-Cylinders-0384-0944/dp/B06WVCVBLY thats what I carry on my service truck I didn't pay that much for it at the welding supplier works great for some quick cutting, heating any fab work full size torches are used

  41. #41Old Doug2022-10-18 10:20

    I payed $49.48 for a K oxy refill yesterday. They said acetylene was $149.00 if have it or could get it.

  42. #42colson042022-10-18 16:51

    https://youtube.com/shorts/5TONnPbRc1k?feature=share

  43. #43chorty552025-08-19 08:30

    I propane everything I can for cutting and heating. Its dirt cheap but its too dirty to make strong welds, if anyone does it anymore? Starting propane can be weird, usually a tease of oxygen or slowly introduce it, otherwise it fluffs itself out. As far as my math goes, I've easily cut garbage and junk with 10 K-tank exchanges against one 15# standard propane refill. I don't think think they're an honest 20# refill? If you're not mobile and have natural gas, then use that if you can, even cheaper and no 2nd bottle to fiddle with. At the shop I work at, for copper and brass burning, thats all they use, and pull off an oxygen tank. I save the high dollar c2h2 for serious heavy cuts or if I need serious heat. I've made plenty of oxygen filled balloons with both. Propane just doesn't hold up to acetylene in comparison echoing through the countryside foothills.....

  44. #44Legdoc2025-08-19 21:40

    Ouch!

  45. #45terex herder2025-08-22 17:22

    Acetylene price earlier this year for me was $1.00/ft3.

  46. #46Entropy12025-08-25 12:17

    Oxy-Propane neutral flame temp is 5112 degrees F. Oxy-Acetylene neutral flame temp is 6332 degrees F. Acetylene currently costs about 68 dollars per therm. Propane costs 3 dollars per therm. If you are primarily cutting steel, or using large rosebuds for heating, oxy-propane is the way to go. If you are brazing, or torch-welding, oxy-acetylene is better.