Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Proper procedure for removing large trees with excavator

samson73103 ยท 2017-07-17 23:46

Is the best procedure to remove large trees by clipping the roots around the side opposite you want the tree to fall? Or clipping them around the side you want the tree to fall? A friend and I disagree on the correct way. He says clipping the roots on the side you want the tree to fall is best because of gravitational forces pulling the tree away from the operator after you've dug down a few feet. I think digging on the side opposite is best because the roots that remain are anchoring the tree away from the operator. We both have some, although not extensive, experience running an excavator but mostly dredging ditches and canals.

Replies9
  1. #1Uphill2017-07-18 02:02

    I would have to agree with your method. I've learned quite a bit by watching YouTube videos but methods used can vary there also. Always try for the safest way on each tree.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2017-07-18 02:50

    I know nothing about pushing trees with an excavator. but have pushed thousands with a dozer and a spear/tree-pusher . . . call it what you will. As Uphill states an evaluation should be made for each tree. The potential for getting into trouble with an excavator is huge . . . not least of all is wind. A twenty ton excavator has the ability to take down most any tree in a pretty timely fashion . . . a thirty ton dozer not so much. Trees almost always push easiest when pushed from the direction they are leaning. They also push easiest with the roots severed on the side from which you are pushing. With a dozer this also helps prevent getting jacked up by the root ball coming up under the dozer and the blade. Excavators are a whole different ball game and I would play it by ear and, if doing any serious digging keep a good eye on the wind. Stay safe.

  3. #3bam19682017-07-18 03:09

    I agree with the above statements. Under normal circumstances I usually dig around 3 sides of a decent sized tree and push it over towards the side that I have not disturbed. A few times I have cut the roots all the way around the tree if it is being stubborn. Just my $.02

  4. #4Delmer2017-07-18 09:15

    Does this mean you push trees IN THE DIRECTION they are leaning, OR push them BACK OVER from the direction they are leaning?

  5. #5Dozerboy2017-07-18 09:56

    He means in The direction it is leaning. Doing the opposite is not very safe but can be done. There is no right and wrong way to take down a tree other than it is done safely. Sometimes I clip routes on all sides sometimes one side sometimes no side. The most important thing is to have a good feel for where the main surface roots are running. I wants clip the roots on three sides of a tree. Well I just missed one of the main surface roots on one side that was running diagonal from the tree. When I push the tree over that root made the tree twist and actually fall sideways from the direction I intended it. Luckily no one got hurt.

  6. #6Scrub Puller2017-07-18 13:01

    Yair . . . Sorry folks a bit ambiguous with what I said . . . most trees push easiest by getting under the lean and pushing back against it. With a dozer this also stops the pusher or blade tending to slide up instead of biting. Not always possible of course and, as mentioned, each job should be judged on its merits Cheers.

  7. #7Twisted2017-07-18 14:41

    A tooth bucket also helps guide the tree on it's way down. As stated they can spin and twist as the roots break. A smooth cutting edge will allow the trunk to slide and possibly come back towards you. A 20ton excavator can take down a pretty big tree if used properly. I never cut the roots on the far side of the tree unless absolutely necessary. A little extra safety factor. So cut some roots if needed then push the tree over. I push up about 75% of the total height the excavator will reach. Stay close enough that to can keep pressure on the tree as it falls. I like to keep the tracks pointed towards the tree so I can move closer or further away as needed without taking my bucket of the trunk. Watch out for falling tops as you push (widowmakers). A branch in the cab can skewer you and there is no place to go. They can also push the control levers causing unintended movements.

  8. #8CatKC2017-07-18 17:01

    I have to chime in here. . . . from -excavator- experience taking down many trees . . It depends a lot on if the tree is deciduous or evergreen and, if it is deciduous, does it have leaves or not. If it still has green leaves -you had better go with the wind- unless it leans -a lot- against it, then wait till the wind dies down. The wind will take a tall tree wherever it want's. Never get -downwind- on a leaved or TALL evergreen tree to push it over, period. If no leaves (dead) , or no wind, go with the lean/heavy side. Very hilly areas are a little different and -depend- on how the tree has -rooted-, to be safe. Every tree is different and what it is rooted in is different. I personally would never cut the roots on the -away side-, cut them on -your/close- side. Dozers may be different as you need to 'bite' the tree, but with an excavator you have -a lot- of LEVERAGE pushing a tree over. (with the wind)

  9. #9Scrub Puller2017-07-18 18:03

    xxxx