Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

proper track tension

gwhammy ยท 2017-05-19 07:25

What is the right tension for tracks without getting them to tight? I just rebuild a leaking grease tensioner and may have it to tight. We set the spring at a longer setting and pumped the track up till the spring was off the seat a little. Is this right?

Replies8
  1. #1fast_st2017-05-19 07:46

    Usually your manufacturer will give you a droop measurement between two points, say between top roller and front idiler, sag should be x inches. +/- My little dozer wants something akin to 1.5 inch sag +/- .5 inches. Don't want to be so tight that the track is straight, it drives up the wear on everything in a hurry,

  2. #2gwhammy2017-05-19 07:50

    Rubber tracks seem to be tighter, I know the settings on the steel track loaders and excavator I have.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2017-05-20 22:00

    Make and model?

  4. #4gwhammy2017-05-21 06:59

    komatsu pc50

  5. #5Canadian_digger2017-05-22 09:50

    Both my 3.5 ton bobcat and 8 ton kubota. The track tension is measured by jacking up the machine and measuring the sag at the bottom. Between the steel cleat in the rubber track and middle roller. If I had to guess I would say around 1"1/2 plus minus a 1/2". Rubber track tend to run tight. Hopefully someone will chime in with your specific machine specs.

  6. #6Tommo2017-05-22 10:20

    The chart in this article seems to give a pretty good ball park. http://www.fortusgroup.com.au/news/5-tips-to-extend-the-life-of-your-rubber-tracks So between 3/4 and 1inch sag should be right.

  7. #7gwhammy2017-05-22 21:06

    Thanks, I looked everywhere and couldn't find the chart you found.

  8. #8John C.2017-05-23 21:56

    These are older bigger machines but you should be able to figure out most of what you need to know.