Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Proper use of a telescoping boom lift as a “crane”??

kent_323is ยท 2014-11-20 02:04

This was in Jiading, suburb of Shanghai, China, at a shopping mall. So I took the following sequence of pictures while on a site visit for an un-related product. The locals were using a quite large Genie lift to hoist a lightpole out of the ground so they could fix the wires in the base of it. They had lashed the ropes to the upper part of the pole assembly, then a guy leaned out over the edge of the bucket to reposition the ropes as they raised the boom up. Then they put tension on the ropes, while the guys on the ground removed the bolts holding it down. It worked out okay for them, but I'm guessing this wouldn't be allowed in the US! Check out the "awesome" wire connections at the bottom. What do you guys think?

Replies8
  1. #1CascadeScaper2014-11-22 06:46

    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Says right on it, don't use for hoisting or transporting materials. Capacity is 500 pounds. Then again, in China I'm sure there isn't any regulation so whatever.

  2. #2Delmer2014-11-22 12:41

    The proper Chinese method is either a stack of pallets on a forklift, or a stepladder on the back of a flatbed truck. Haven't you learned anything from the internet?

  3. #3CM19952014-11-22 15:07

    Looks like a typical Chinese day.. I've been to Guangzhou, Beijing and Hong Kong a couple of times. The way they do things there is "different" to say the least.

  4. #4mitch5042014-11-22 19:52

    Hey, they put temporary fencing around the worksite, how could it be unsafe?

  5. #5CM19952014-11-22 19:57

    LOL. I like the fact the only guy wearing a hard hat is in the boom lift, in the air. I'm not a safety nazi but that strikes me as humorous.

  6. #6mitch5042014-11-22 20:34

    Yep, me too. I missed that part.

  7. #7td25c2014-11-22 22:53

    Well ....... I cant knock on the boys to hard , they got the job done with what they had at the time as most of us have in situations. No big deal . Our first crane was a 1972 Ford 4000 tractor with a Kelley loader . http://www.kelleymanufacturing.com/product/loader/ Then chain a boom pole to the bucket for a jib to reach higher . http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-boom-pole-bp-y.html Heck .... We are still using the old Ford for movin stuff around . LOL ! HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8kent_323is2014-11-23 09:48

    Yup, that Genie lift was a big one, and it got the job done! I would have been tempted to do the same thing! Sometimes it's kind of nice not having too many safety rules. The one guy in the lift that leaned over to adjust the ropes actually had a safety harness on, and was actually tied off! That's pretty rare to see in China.