Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Proportional auxiliary hydraulics switch problem on Case TR320 skid steer

Robbie Patterson ยท 2020-12-22 09:53

I just purchased a straight arm backhoe attachment called the (see Images) Eterra 60 for my Case TR 320 yesterday. This is the first auxiliary hydraulic attachment I have ever used with this machine since I have owned it. It is a low-flow only. The Eterra attachment only has 1 hydraulic cylinder on it which runs the bucket and no electrical. The owner before me used a bush hog and a jackhammer on it, which he said worked fine. But when I hooked it up and started to use it, my machine seemed like it would only allow 1 direction of flow for the hydraulics, which would raise the bucket but not curl it. I think my problem has something to do with the proportional auxiliary switch ( also called roller switch or I think New Holland calls it Rocker Switch) See Image) I only have the one roller switch on my right joystick for auxiliary hydraulics no other options. I have noticed some machines have hydraulics 1, 2, 3 but mine only has the 1 roller thumb switch like most all do. I have taken the switch off and examined it but it seems to be sound. However I have a concern while doing some research on it that raises even more questions is that I notice some of the switches have only 3 wires and some have 6 wires. (See Images) Because my switch only has 3 wires does that mean it will only allow for one direction hydraulics flow? Does anyone have any experience with this switch or anything else I could be overlooking I would greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately I do not have any owners manuals.

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2020-12-22 10:13

    I had that issue on a TR320 in 2012 when I first got it. Check the wiring in the handle if you haven't. There were some wiring routing issues in the handle when they first came out. They replaced the handle under warranty to fix it on mine. If you unhook the hyd. and rotate the actuator you should hear the machine go over relief. If doesn't then there is most likely an electrical issue and I would say it is likely in the handle. If it does go over relief, the attachment hyd. cyl. may have an issue. One other thing, make sure the actuator is in the middle when you start it. If you like it flipped forward, it wont work without putting it back in N and restarting it.

  2. #2Robbie Patterson2020-12-22 13:14

    I have checked the wiring and everything seems to look ok. The one thing I cant seem to figure out is if the roller switch on the right joystick that operates the auxiliary hydraulics is a 2 way switch for attachments that need forward and reverse or it only works in one direction. So on mine when you thumb roll the switch down it works and you can see and hear the hydraulics flex but when you roll it up it doesn't do anything. I haven't ever had to use this switch so I'm just not sure how its suppose to work. My switch has 3 wires on one side( the side that works) but I have noticed some of the switches have 6 wires 3 on each end. Appreciate your feedback!

  3. #3KSSS2020-12-22 22:41

    It should go over relief going forward as well. The switch will work both ways, so if your opening a grapple you rotate it forward and rotating down would close it (depending on how it is plumbed). It should be simple enough to activate the switch forward and see if your getting current in and out of the switch. My first guess is the switch, next would be the where it actuates the aux. hyd. Garyhoff can speak to how to check these things, hopefully he will see this and respond.