Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pto question

jimmyrogers333 ยท 2018-04-25 05:59

Just bought a single axle Mack with a 350 and 8ll in it. It was a plow truck and has a front mounted pto. I don't like the way it looks and wanted to do a transmission mounted pto. Question is mainly cost and is it worth it? Any info would be appreciated.

Replies14
  1. #1Shimmy12018-04-25 07:12

    You will never want a PTO on the trans after getting used to live hydraulics.

  2. #2The Peej2018-04-25 07:23

    until a hose breaks and your stuck on the side of the road because there's no way to turn the pump off.

  3. #3Shimmy12018-04-25 13:11

    Maybe, but I ran a IH 2500 for 12 years and a live PTO was a slick deal no matter if you were spreading or stockpiling. Also, on my truck, four 3/8" bolts and the driveshaft was free from the engine.

  4. #4farmerlund2018-04-25 19:31

    Live pto is pretty nice to have. But they do make a trans mounted one now that can be engaged and disengaged with out having to use the clutch or stop moving. Just flip the lever anytime you want. pretty slick. I am not sure I would spend the time and money to move it, just cause you don't like the look of the pump. The Last PTO set up I bought was around $1500.

  5. #5crane operator2018-04-25 20:48

    I guess for me it would depend what you're going to do with the truck. If its getting the plow taken off and you're pulling a lowboy, you really don't need live pto. But I'm cheap, so if I could use it like it is, I sure would.

  6. #6RZucker2018-04-25 21:21

    Buddy of mine bought 2 Oregon state trucks with live crank drive pumps and dump boxes, he wont go back to trans mount pto's.

  7. #7JD88752018-04-25 22:03

    Just started running an IH 4900 a few months ago with a crank mounted pump and dump bed. I dont miss the trans mounted PTO I had before for anything. Live power and an air gate.... And never look back to the prehistoric ways again. John

  8. #8jimmyrogers3332018-04-26 06:28

    Thanks for all the info...Now I'm reconsidering the whole thing..And this truck was also a dot plow truck...Now will be used for pulling tag and hauling dirt and gravel.

  9. #9Shimmy12018-04-26 22:24

    I'm glad I'm not alone.

  10. #10Jonas3022018-04-26 22:42

    Half of ours have a dis connectable front pump air or cable the other ones you shut the suction line off and head home never been stuck on the road sure wouldn't spend the money to move one

  11. #11RZucker2018-04-26 22:43

    One thing to watch with a crank drive, is keep an eye on the u-joints. That can ruin your day if those fail.

  12. #12DMiller2018-05-13 15:13

    Another sometimes dismissed issue with live hydraulics is ending up with a bed raise while moving at speed. Not usually ending well.

  13. #13crane operator2018-05-13 15:28

    I got lucky last fall and lost one on my 70 ton. It was the one on the engine, not the gearbox side. I went to boom up the crane and all I heard was clankety clank, and no hydro. If you lose the one on the gearbox its going to flail around a little until you get the engine shut down. Radiator, air lines, air to air, electrical, all kinds of fun stuff in the line of fire on most trucks.

  14. #14RZucker2018-05-13 15:59

    The Oregon State trucks I mentioned above had huge red lights on the dash to let you know the box wasn't all the way down.