Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pto question time

brownie25 · 2024-04-26 14:04

Hello all , Could someone give a basic explanation on how a pto should work on a auto transmission, I have a 2013 mitsubishi canter fuso 7.5 ton tipper that I just bought with an existing problem with it not tipping,I think I have narrowed in down to the shaft from the gearbox not turning the pto the pto Is engaging but not turning, there is only one electric connection from the pto to the gearbox so I assume that tells the gearbox to engage the shaft when in park, If I select drive and slowly move truck forward the whit pto on and tipper switch held in the up position it will tipp the body up but as soon as I stop moving the tipper stops aswel Any help greatly appreciated Thanks

Replies24
  1. #1mekanik2024-04-26 14:17

    What transmission is in the truck?

  2. #2sled dog2024-04-26 14:23

    Truck must be moving, or in neutral

  3. #3brownie252024-04-26 15:54

    I don't know, do you mean make and model ?

  4. #4mekanik2024-04-26 15:59

    Yes.

  5. #5brownie252024-04-26 17:01

    I do know it's Duonic if that is any help ?

  6. #6brownie252024-04-26 19:53

    It will not tipp while in neutral

  7. #7terex herder2024-04-27 15:00

    Some transmissions take the pto off the input side, others off the output side. Sometimes when off the output side there is a disconnect at the rear of the transmission to allow the engine rpm to be increased without the vehicle moving. You are going to tell us more about your setup.

  8. #8cfherrman2024-04-27 16:17

    Sounds like a converter driven pro The PTO will only be spinning as the wheels will be spinning unless it's in neutral. To get the PTO engaged you have to have trans in drive and with tires stopped, and as you move forward it engages it and spins the PTO, then you should be able to keep the PTO on and shift to neutral and then PTO will spin all the time until you kick it out or shut off the engine. Lots of feed trucks have autos and pros and they drive at a speed and dump the feed at the same time.

  9. #9brownie252024-04-29 09:42

    OK so I have tried this and still no joy as soon as I put truck into neutral it stops tipping

  10. #10cfherrman2024-04-29 13:17

    Sounds like the PTO is on the output shaft as others have mentioned. You will have to drive forward to tip and you will just have to learn how to do it safely. If you want to spend money you can see if there is a converter driven PTO spot, it will be closer to the bell housing, or you can install a live PTO on the crank of the engine. You can see if the PTO has been programmed to kick out at neutral which is possible but not likely.

  11. #11cuttin edge2024-05-02 20:05

    We have 2 Allison automatics. One has to be in neutral to be engaged, but you can put it in drive once engaged. The other is opposite. If you push the button while in neutral, the button just flashes, you have to put it in drive. Once engaged, the truck can be placed in neutral.

  12. #12brownie252025-08-23 09:07

    Hello all ,it's been a while lol,this is the gearbox that is in the truck if anyone can help

  13. #13Coaldust2025-08-23 10:59

    Is your lower frame rail flange rusted through? Near the cab mount, or whatever that bracket is.

  14. #14brownie252025-08-23 12:43

    Not sure where you mean,that would hardly make a difference ?

  15. #15Coaldust2025-08-23 12:57

    It might just be a shadow, but it looks like a rust hole to me. Just curious.

  16. #16mekanik2025-08-23 13:02

    There are two wires coming out of the PTO a blue one and a beige one. It looks like the beige one is broken by the blue tape. Maybe fix that and see if it helps.

  17. #17Coaldust2025-08-23 15:32

    That’s just the switch for the indicator lamp.

  18. #18mekanik2025-08-23 15:38

    What engages the PTO are there any electronics involved?

  19. #19Coaldust2025-08-23 15:55

    Oh’ boy, what a goofy set up. The line card for the PTO kit says it’s vacuum actuated. It has a diaphragm that engages the gear set.

  20. #20brownie252025-08-23 16:26

    Pto engages, the problem is whatever shaft is running it is not turning, I think it is output shaft as it will tipp while moving the truck,but not when stationary,

  21. #21mekanik2025-08-23 16:50

    I'm wondering if there is some electronic gizmo that disengages the PTO when you put in park or neutral.

  22. #22brownie252025-08-23 16:53

    That is what I'm thinking aswell,

  23. #23Coaldust2025-08-23 17:11

    That’s a twin clutch fully automated 6 speed manual. It’s a very unique transmission. The installation & operation manual for the PTO is fairly easy to locate on the web. That’s the next thing I would do. Read up on how it’s supposed to operate. I may do that later, out of curiosity.

  24. #24brownie252025-08-23 17:36

    Ok thanks for that info,I'll do some digging on that,if you come across anything yourself you might let me know , Thanks