Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pull style disc hitch height

cb1 ยท 2010-03-21 02:15

Hello all, last year I bought a 3 point disc (6 foot, two rows) for my 8N. It worked well except when cornering if you left it in the ground. I disc 2 quarter acre gardens. I left the 3 point on the disc for traveling; however I constructed a pull bar on it. It worked great for turning; however I think it is hard on the 3 point draw bar. So I just installed a pull style draw bar (under axle) on my 8N for this year. My question is, on the level, how much higher should the disc hitch be than the draw bar, i.e., 4 inches higher so the disc is 4 inches in the ground? Theoretically? Thanks, Carl

Replies3
  1. #1bill onthehill2010-03-21 05:27

    Most pull type have a pivot pin which allows the disc to float vertically. Kind of like a horizontal hinge.

  2. #2#12Caterpillar2010-03-24 19:07

    Hi there CB1 in regards to your question about hitch hight just a few words first. As a younger buck i used to break the end disk off the front gang on the front quit reguler turning with a disk in the ground till i had some schoolen from my dad. :bash he said you should always lift a disk at least half way out if not a little more so there is not as much pressure on that outside disk as it is sliding around a corner, low a behold i never broke another disk again. as for the hitch hight we always set our hitch so that everything was level with the disk in the cut as this keeps the front and rear gang the same depth. :usa :my2c

  3. #3icestationzebra2010-08-25 00:15

    Most pull type discs have a hinge joint on their draw bar with an adjustable angle. The idea is that you can adjust the angle to adjust the weight transfer on the front gang vs the rear gang. Normally you need more weight on the front to cut into the untilled ground while the back gang is just cutting clods. On a 3pt hitch you do the same thing by adjusting the top link. We had a small White disc that we couldn't get to penetrate well, even with the hitch at full adjustment. We ended up bolting on several hundred pounds of suitcase weights right above the front gang. Newer large discs often have a hydraulic cylinder in place of the Acme screw so that the trim can be adjusted on the fly. I also agree with #12, a disc harrow is not meant to turn tight while in the ground. ISZ