Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pulling a Wagon-Type (Full) Trailer With A Lighter Truck

Birken Vogt ยท 2012-06-04 21:29

I am entertaining a business plan that might have me pulling a 4-wheel trailer similar to a transfer trailer loaded to about 40k with a single drive straight truck that only weighs about 32k. Is this a bad idea, or can it be done? I see there is a local road oil company near here that seems to have one set up this way and I saw a tire service truck the other day pulling a short semitrailer with a converter dolly and it was going so slow, it had to be loaded, but other than that I have not seen this done. Thanks Birken

Replies2
  1. #1mtnview2012-06-04 22:52

    Interested what others will say as I'm considering something similar. Going with a belly dump pup so I can pull it behind a single axle dump and not add hardly any weight to the back axle.

  2. #2Orchard Ex2012-06-05 21:34

    I've been kicking around a similar idea for a while now. No one around here runs pups. I can't really justify a triaxle truck but it would be nice to haul a bit more on some jobs. I'm not looking for quite as much capacity as the OP, but then again. What are your cost estimates for a small dump pup?