Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pulling engine D4H series II

Diesel Dan 92 ยท 2016-02-01 12:11

We are pulling the motor for rebuild. How do we get the trans unbolted? From the rear? Anything else I might need to know? Wiring, fuel and coolant lines are diconnected. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2016-02-01 12:45

    If you want to drop me a PM with the machine Serial Number and your email address I can send you a copy of the engine R&I procedure. Do you have the radiator and hardnose removed yet..?

  2. #2Diesel Dan 922016-02-01 12:58

    Taking nose off now PM sent

  3. #3Welder Dave2016-02-01 20:18

    I don't know about a D4H but on my 931B with a 3204, the engine and trans. come out complete. Cat will have a procedure and it will list things you might not have thought about. In my case, I would have never known the trans. mounts have to be unbolted from the trans in order to have enough room to get it out.

  4. #4caterpillar132016-02-01 22:56

    if it is like the d5h xl there is a small jack shaft between the torque converter and trans. , take the torque converter with the motor.

  5. #5msllc2016-03-06 06:35

    How is your job coming? I am some what stumped on the engine removal from a 931B. I look forward to the day I get that girl to start for the first time. I bought mine as a broken down tractor, so I am having to cross my fingers with everything else working out good.

  6. #6Welder Dave2016-03-06 22:49

    Cat has a procedure and/or Nige can probably get the same procedure for you. It gives pretty good detail. The engine and trans. weighs about 1700lbs. I used a cheap engine crane to lift it out. I had to take mine out twice. A couple tips I can give you is when you go to put the engine and trans. back in, leave the engine oil filter off until the engine is in place. There's very little clearance and it's super easy to dent the oil filter. The other tip is to have the starter checked out while the engine is out. It's a real pain to remove and install on the machine.