Hi, I live in panama Central America and want to buy a used backhoe. I only have experience with farm tractors. This will be my first backhoe loader. I don't care which brand, but am leading towards a JD since everyone on the Internet raves about them. Right now I have the following options and I would like some advise. 2010 JD 310J with 5300 hours, asking price $45,000. Maintenance done every 250hrs at dealer. Looks to be in good condition. 2003 JD 310G with 2300 hours, asking price $39,000. American owned, claims that it's in like new condition. 2008 New Holland B95 with 1800hrs, asking price $28,000. Looks in rough condition. Pins have been replaced with rebar and 4x4 is broken, but the owner promises to fix it before sale. 2004 Volvo BL60 with 2400hrs, asking price $35,000. Looks to be in excellent condition. Has new tires. All are 4x4. I'm looking for a point in the right direction, since my experience is 0. Thanks
I forgot to mention the following machine that is also available: 2007 JCB 3CX with 6500 hrs, asking price $28,500. Condition is said to be good, but looks rough.
I don't know much about any of those machines, so no help there. What do you want to do with the machine? and what kind of access do you have to dealers and mechanics who can work on these machines? are these similar to the farm tractors you know (engine technology, age)?
I will work on gravel roads, ditches, install pipes & septic tanks, level areas to build chalets, pools, and do various jobs for neighbors when I get the hang of operating. I am 1 1/2 hours from all the dealers & mechanics, so I need a machine in good shape that won't give me too many problems.
Go for the 310G
Thanks. What's your reasoning? I should correct myself, the 310G was actually owned by a Canadian and is the second owner. He bought the machine with 1800hrs. The flag under your user name reminded me.
Are all these machines comparably equipped? 4:1, 4wd, extend are minimums in my opinion Cabs make a big difference to some folks. * Assuming you indicate all are the same, I would also strongly consider the G over the J based upon hours, since hours is hours.
Thanks. None are extended, that's not too common down here. All are 4x4. I don't know what 4:1 means. Could you explain? I was comparing all these models on ritchiespecs and it looks like the Volvo is stronger & heavier than the 310g. It has low hours, new tires, and looks in excellent condition. The resale value of the 310g is probably better though. Anyone have experience with the volvos?
4:1 is a four in one front bucket, the bucket is hinged at the top so you can use it as a dozer blade, pinch it back down to pull brush or pick up something, and do something else as the fourth... four in one buckets are also common on track loaders.
I went to see the 2007 JCB today. The guy couldn't even get it to move. The NH was also in terrible shape. I think I have narrowed it down to the 310g or the BL60. What's the general consensus on Volvo backhoes?
Ah ok. I'm going to check if these are 4:1. Sounds very useful. Thanks!
( " 2008 New Holland B95 with 1800hrs, asking price $28,000. Looks in rough condition. Pins have been replaced with rebar and 4x4 is broken, but the owner promises to fix it before sale. ") I can't help but worry about rebar pins! Doesn't sound like much of a maintenance program and did you ever see how that rebar bends when you use it for pins? Really hard to get out after that!
Yeah, I didn't like it when I saw it. There were several other things I didn't like as well. The muffler had been welded back on, the bushings & bearings were all toast, most lug nuts were missing, the hydraulic lines were very old & cracked. Looked like the machine had been sitting in hot sun & heavy rain since bought.
I have found two more machines that look interesting. 2004 Cat 420D IT with 3150hrs. Looks in excellent condition. $39,000 2004 JD 410G with 5200hrs. Excellent condition as well. $35,000. What are your opinions on these two? BTW, the 310G mentioned above was sold before I had a chance to make an offer.
Some have said that Cat brakes last about 5,000 hrs. I have never heard of anyone replacing brakes on a Deere but I'm sure they will wear out eventualy. Cats have become very popular, that should mean something. IMO, the Deere has better visibility when using loader.