Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Purchasing Komatsu WA-180

clansing1 ยท 2009-12-26 12:12

I'm looking at purchasing a 1992 Komatsu WA-180 loader. I was wondering if this was a good machine to purchase. It has about 7000 hours and the price is around $28K. Thanks in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2009-12-26 13:32

    It's eighteen years old! Whether or not it's a good machine depends on its condition. Have you looked at it yet or are you asking what to look for?

  2. #2clansing12009-12-27 14:23

    Wa-180 I have not look at it yet, just seen photos. I may look at it this week. I was wondering if there have been any problems with this model. Thanks.

  3. #3Mr.Digger2010-01-11 23:27

    I owned a 1991 WA-180. It is an overall great loader. Everything on them seems pretty tough. The 3rd gear on them is not a very powerful gear, this is normal. They came with 2 different engines in em. One with a Komatsu engine (made by Cummins) And one with the Cummins. In order to tell it is a cummins the valve covers are seperated where as the Komatsu is one single valve cover. Both are great engines and again both are Cummins. They are great on fuel, have decent hydraulics and good lifting power. Biggest things is check the center pins and check for water leaks on the engine in the front of it by the water pump. Mine had a water leak in the front of the engine which I had the dealer fix before I bought it. Seems they had some issues with axle seals as well. So weather or not this helps you I wish you good luck on the purchase. I have since gotten rid of my 180 and purchased a 2003 Deere 624H. As far as comparing the 2? Well, lets just say that my deere would be able to lift 2 komatsu' off the ground without a grunt. I wouldn't go back.

  4. #4hartzou2010-01-12 08:21

    It is a good idea to buy a new one

  5. #5clansing12010-01-12 14:01

    Thanks for the reply, that does help. nmm