Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Px-7

Mike L · 2023-09-15 20:38

I’m looking at a 2020 very low mileage service truck. 33k gvw, 14’ box,etc. problem is that it has the paccar px-7 (Cummins 6.7) set at 300 hp with an Allison 2500 transmission. All the trucks I’ve had in my career of this size had the px-9 with an Allison 3000. My concern is that once I load it up to roughly 30k it will be a major turd and if I crank up the hp it will overwork the transmission. Any thoughts or experience or advice?

Replies15
  1. #1crane operator2023-09-15 20:49

    Move to Maine? It would be cooler there and the transmission wouldn't have to work as hard. Actually you already know the answer, no 6.7 is going to move 30k day in and day out, without problems.

  2. #2Truck Shop2023-09-15 20:57

    A truck that new-there is a reason it's for sale.

  3. #3Mike L2023-09-15 21:33

    The story for the sale is that they normally run f550s and the guy who ran this truck got fired for being lazy and they don’t have any more mechanics with a cdl. Who knows what the truth is.

  4. #4Truck Shop2023-09-15 21:48

    That's a dog ate my home work excuse.

  5. #5_Weldman_2023-09-15 22:07

    So they bought this new/used truck just for possibly one person to drive and outside the norm of vehicles that don't match the fleet to keep things simple, brilliant move Cletus "if it's true". Guess their golden boy to bring the company ahead didn't procure, laid all the cards on the table and folded "if it's true". My opinion anything under a 8.3L shouldn't be moving 30k lbs in my small experiences.

  6. #6Coaldust2023-09-16 00:06

    I’ve have good luck with the Px-7 w/Allison in the single axle T370 chassis and 2800 gallon tank. 1400 of 1993 is about all they can legally haul, but we stuff them full when we head out the road. Way overloaded. Reliability wise, better than the Px-9. My theory is the Px-7 works harder and that makes the exhaust after treatment system work better. Way less after treatment and emissions issues. I’ve got a bunch of PX-9’s, as well. They are maybe, nicer to drive. But, nobody really complains about the PX-7’s. The PX-7’s are less expensive to operate, overall. Maybe 20% less expensive. Because they breakdown less. But, that’s just me. In my small paradigm, on the edge of the world. Delivering the fuel in my little K-Dub.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-09-16 05:49

    Correct tool for the job. No one uses a tack hammer to remove a track pin.

  8. #8heymccall2023-09-16 07:27

    I've got the px7, 325/750, pushing a 8LL, and winding 3.90 gearing, with 11' box, 12k crane, etc. Scales at 25,900# No way, if hills are involved, would I want to be running any heavier.

  9. #9Mike L2023-09-16 08:12

    That was the story IIRC. The truck has been for sale since last Apri. They are a fairly large paving company in the Midwest. The truck only has 40k miles on it and they have dropped $25k off the price and I suspect they would drop more. The service truck market is crazy right now and I believe the small engine is the reason it hasn’t sold.

  10. #10Mike L2023-09-16 08:16

    This is the real world info I’m looking for. I don’t run huge hills around here it isn’t flat either. My current truck is a px8 that’s turned up to 359/999 with an Eaton 6 speed and low gears. It pulls great but I have to baby the transmission a little as it’s only rated for 850 ft lbs.

  11. #11_Weldman_2023-09-16 09:03

    I push this ol' 8.3 Cummins mated to Allison MT654CR here up to 44k lbs up and down hills with 49.5" wheels tandem axle max out 40 mph going up hills. Course I turned fuel up, advanced the timing and put adjustable return fuel valve on it (Tork Tek) that is cranked up a bit.

  12. #12Truck Shop2023-09-16 10:05

    It's also a electronic problem child built in 2020 Covid. Remember Fords issues with electrical parts. Pape' Cat here has one-it's a turd just for that reason alone. Perfect service rig below, anything less well that's just what it is-----Less. *

  13. #13Mike L2023-09-16 10:49

    that Would work but I’m afraid it would cost as much as a new one.

  14. #14Coaldust2023-09-16 14:03

    Truck Shop brings up a good point about it being a Covid Truck. An early 2020 is probably ok. I didn’t mention it because all my newer rigs were delivered before ****. I didn’t personally deal with the C19 QC issues, but my colleagues did. Here is the common list of T370 problems I do run into on a regular basis: Hood mounts break. The rubber molding fall off and then the hood cracks. HVAC blend door actuators Washer switches Front bumper hardware falls off

  15. #15Coaldust2023-09-16 14:13

    Regarding PX-7 and PX-9 engine problems, overall they have been trouble free except for after-treatment issues. Most are self-induced by excessive idle time. And “we” end up eating the cost, even under warranty. Because, it’s a six month wait for a service appointment at Pape’ KW. Then, it will take three follow up appointments to get the issue fixed. Pape’ is unable to staff. I’m not dissing them. Nobody can staff.