Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

quarry reclamation

stumpjumper83 ยท 2008-10-09 21:59

Here is a pic of the flagstone quarry that I need to clean up. The idea is to sell what stone I can as flagstone sheets, and crush the rest and sell the rest as aggregate. Then put the dirt back in the hole. I don't think I'll have enough rock to use a large tracked crusher so I'll be lookin at a mini of some sort. The skid loader in the pic belongs to the current leasee, I'll be bringing in a jd 450c trackloader with a backhoe attachment. Might end up having to bring a medium sized dozer like a d7H or something.

Replies11
  1. #1Steve Frazier2008-10-09 23:53

    Does flagstone have enough integrity to be used as an aggregate?

  2. #2dirt digger2008-10-10 01:22

    where is that at?

  3. #3stumpjumper832008-10-10 06:39

    I've used it as road base before and it hould up well for private use. The State uses it for headwalls around sluce pipes. But I need to get my stuff certified before i can sell it to anyone. Dirt, that hole is in potter co.

  4. #4dirt digger2008-10-10 08:37

    ok...i was going to say that definitely isn't lancaster county...i was guessing between Potter and Tioga

  5. #5stumpjumper832008-10-11 20:44

    speaking of getting aggrigate certified, anyone know how its done?

  6. #6dirt digger2008-10-11 21:30

    believe you need to get it tested...i know Penn State is the prime research facility for the state of Pennsylvania...i had a professor who did a lot of aggregate testing, track down their materials research lab and they would have a good answer for you....or PennDOT would most definitely be able to tell you as well

  7. #7dirt digger2008-10-11 21:32

    i don't believe it does...flagstone is a very sedimentary rock that crushes too easily, all of the aggregates that come from PA quarries are limestones it could possibly be crushed and used as stone dust

  8. #8JimBruce422008-10-11 21:49

    almost all ... our Devault quarry is a granite rock (so is Elk Mills, but that's in MD)... though I believe it's in it's final years and only supplying the asphalt plant now.:beatsme

  9. #9dirt digger2008-10-11 22:42

    thats true...the quarry down in glen mills is a granite quarry...trucks filled with limestone around here are usually heeping over the sides and trucks coming from granite quarries are usually only 3/4 full...depends what you are using the stone for but when we install septics we always use limestone even if it is farther away

  10. #10bigcatpip2008-10-11 22:58

    here are some pic of my buddy's blue stone quarry. I use to stack stone for him when need cash.

  11. #11stretch2008-10-15 18:16

    When we blasted out our granite for our detention pond, it came out in decent-sized slabs like that. I tried to convince my dad to sell a few truckloads of it but we ended up crushing it for our roadbase. Somehow, he still manages to get a few slabs outta the remaining outcrops for the landscaping. :beatsme