I hang out in the TLB forum but have question for the grader boys... Note: I've NEVER run a grader and have no clue! Why to the front wheels tilt on a grader and what do you use that function for? THANKS!! Paul
There's a current post titled "the ten commandments for graders". take a read on that one. But mostly, hold the front from sliding and on the old machines that do not articulate they are a great help in turning, especially on the old manual steering ones.
As I said, in an earlier post, they lean, so you can reach out with them, and rip the trim and door handles off of impatient motorists, who MUST pass you, at any cost...
Helps turn sharper, counteracts side thrust, sometimes I use it to move slightly left or right around a grade stake. Keeps the front end from sliding down the slope when ditching. It used to make my daughter laugh. She would pull and push the leaver really fast and she called it the Shaker. I've used it to give me a couple more inches if reach.
THANKS guys! I think I have a better idea now. My old and dearly departed brother-in-law always said a good "Patrol" operator is an artist! Thanks again...Paul
I have seen it often on photos or videos when graders make slope or ditch works, that the front wheels are leaning. The other reasons have some users written down yet.
Not to steal the thread, but I drive up Route 7 frequently on one tractor or another. The breakdown lane is 8' wide. I find most drivers go at speed limit passing. Typically they give only a foot, or two leeway as they pass at fifty MPH. Some travel much faster than that, and seem to speed up as they pass. Sometimes these are alpha drivers demonstrating how close they can get at 70 MPH passing. As I install more and more flashing lights it seems to get worse. I've developed the practice of staying in my lane until drivers slow behind me, then move over to allow them to pass. By accident I discovered magical influence. I take a small sapling, place it crossways of the tractor in the rear. I let leaves stick out a couple feet past the tractor. I don't know what it says to drivers in a hurry, but it works! Those passing at seventy MPH move to the other lane to do so. Others slow down to pass. Willie
This is my list as well. I've had two CAT 140M operators tell me they also use it for slight steering corrections going down the road in high gear. Claimed it was easier than trying to "wiggle" the joystick. I can't verify that one.
For drifting
I like that... Gonna have to give it a try. might work better than the SMV emblem, which is all I have on the Allis DD special...
I wonder if there would be a market for a inflatable Volkswagen bug to hang on the left end of the moldboard.
Trying to learn everyday. Any help is greatly appreciated I'm going to have to try that. I operate a 120M2 and it gets squirrely on pavement in high gears to the point I have uneven wear on my right steer tire. I'm a new operator and always looking for advice. Thank you ovrszd