Trying to remember what it is called and if they still make them. As I recall it was a galvanized tub about the diameter of a 55 gallon drum and about a foot tall. It had a domed cover on it and out of the center of the cover was a 6 or 8 inch stove pipe chimney also seems there was an elbow that went from the cover and about a foot up and connected to the chimney. As I recall you somehow got the fuel oil or kerosene in the tub burning and there was an adjustment for the air to get it burning pretty clean. I used one many years ago while working in an unheated shop in Virginia in December while rebuilding the transmission in a 475IIIA Michigan loader. I know my boss was not to happy with the idea of me having the cut off drum of kerosene sitting about a foot away from the heater but the warm kerosene did clean the arts good and kept my fingers warm! Had most of the parts cleaned before he made me move it.
Don't you just hate someone that posts a question then their brain finally kicks in and the end up answering their own question? It's a smudge pot or orchard heater!
That brought back some memories for me from the 1960's. A piece of partially floating newspaper is how we started them burning. We even refilled them while they were burning.
'60s?! H@ll, The shop I worked in in '91 was heated with those!
They are all over eastern Washington in the orchards. The smudge pots that were there when I lived outside of Yakima were different. They looked like little bombs. I was in grade school there and you could tell which kids were out half or more of the night lighting those things up. https://www.ebay.com/b/Smudge-Pot/4128/bn_55192760
It looks more like something you'd find at the still.
I'm not talking about what's at the still, 5th amendment rights, ya know.
also called- salamander
I thought these were sometimes referred to as a salamanders. https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-KFA...words=salamander+heater&qid=1588394174&sr=8-1
Yeah, the ones we had had heat reflectors above the stove pipe, and I thought that was why the correct name was "hardhat heater"