Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about fluids

Pelicanroost ยท 2009-01-26 15:12

I rented a Toro Dingo to do some trenching for electrical conduit. I noticed the rental company had written in black marker on the reservoir access panel: "Do Not Use Hydraulic Fluid - 10W40 Motor Oil Only". I didn't question them but was just wondering. is this is a common practice? Thanks, Pel

Replies4
  1. #1PipeGuy2009-01-26 16:58

    many manufactures are using one common oil now. I think Komatsu skid steers use motor oild for hyd oil also.

  2. #2cat 3852009-01-26 17:02

    yep 15w-40 in all the iron at my work,and at the last copany i worked for too.

  3. #3Speedpup2009-01-27 22:58

    found this while reading the link is in my other hydraulic thread.

  4. #4Squizzy246B2009-01-28 00:37

    Because many modern engine oils have the necassary anti-wear component to meet the demand. The line between engine oil and hydraulic oil is not as black and white as it was 20 years ago. Rio Tinto have No single weight designated hydraulic fluid in their excavator fleet (in the west anyway) and have not done for many years. another thread here: