Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for distributor drivers

AustinM ยท 2011-04-02 10:02

If you drive a distributor, this question is for you because I have never driven one. Getting ready in the next month to do a mill and overlay project with 108,000 SY of glass reinforced paving fabric, which requires us to shoot about 400 ton of PG 58-28. In the past, when we have had to place paving fabric we have hired out the distributor truck that has a fabric roller installed on the back. This works great because the company we generally hire does this kind of work all the time and is very professional and do a very good job. It's all they do. Basically all I have to tell the driver is how heavy the oil needs to be shot, he says okay, and that's it. He takes it from there. I don't know what he does to make sure that happens, but he does it. This new project we are working on, we have decided that we are going to do it ourselves because it will save us about 6 grand. We have the equipment, drivers etc. The only difference is our distributor driver is not used to having to be that precise. In this case, I need the truck to shoot .13 gal/SY. So here's the question: How hard is that? If everything works in the truck? (they have computerized systems) You could give me a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty. If you drive a distributor frequently and have ever done this work, where would say something like this would fit in to your scale of difficulty?

Replies6
  1. #1andoman2011-04-03 12:12

    Depends on the vintage of your distributor, newer truck (computerized) would be easy, the older trucks will depend on constancy of the driver but still not hard.

  2. #2AustinM2011-04-03 13:22

    okay thank you........

  3. #3telescooper2011-04-05 17:21

    If your oil squirter is old, even if it has a computer, you will have to use the slide rule that came with your truck. Newer distributors just punch in the desired rate, however refer to the manual. The whole process is still pretty simple. Before you can accurately apply the product at the correct rate, the distributor must be calibrated. just my .02, its been awhile since I have shot oil. telescooper

  4. #4AustinM2011-04-07 00:16

    Thanks guys. I should clarify the 400 ton includes the oil for the leveling course, of which 55 ton will be sprayed on the road for the fabric. Imagine the mess if we put 400 ton of oil on the road for 108k SY of fabric. Ha. Instead of .13 we'd be near 1.o gallon/SY. Swimming pool anyone?

  5. #5Mr sticky2011-08-26 18:23

    Need some help, I always operator old etnyer distributors mechanical style with shot charts . Now I am using a new rosco maximiser2 . After sucking the bars back and doing the clean out procedure with diesel , I still have problems starting the pump the next day. It strains and wines, after a lot of pressure and time it will eventually turn. What am I doing wrong? The old machines I could tell when the diesel hit the pump and it was good to go the next time I used it. Anybody cot a clue what I am doing wrong?

  6. #6telescooper2011-09-05 13:46

    Hi sticky, Suck some diesel back through the nozzle while it is sucking. When done at the end of the day dump a little diesel in the intake cap and let it soak overnight. I have never operated a Rosco but have done this with Etnyer distributors. Telescooper