I have a land reclamation project that I need advice on. I have a multi phase project on my ranch with the first phase as follows. 20 acres in flood plain measuring approximately 2000' by 425'. There is a drainage ditch running parallel to the 2000' length. I want to excavate the full length of the ditch wide enough to build up to 20 acres by 1'. The excavation may get into the water table therefore a track hoe is required. The soil is black-gray clay. It is very slick and sticky so it will be a mess. The dig will be about 31,500 sq. yds. This will have to be done in a the summer as there is currently 9" of water on it. Using a trackhoe to excavate is a no brainer. The question is how do we move the spoils? Fill dump trucks? Dump it on the ground and doze it? When it is dry tandem dumps will have no problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.
My mistake it should bea 31,500 cubic yards excavated.
My mistake it should be 31,500 cubic yards excavated. It's been a long day!
If the dirt is super sloppy it would be best to let it be spread out and let to dry for a while before land spreading it. If it is not too wet, then load it right into the dumptruck and haul it to where you need to dump it and then use your dozer to spread it out. Another way that might be logical would be to get a tractor and pan scraper, one which you could top load and scrape up dirt you have left to dry, it is also a nice way to level your dirt up as well. Just my suggestions, I am sure others here will have others. Trbo Its kinda hard to tell from the small size of the photo but this was a pond we dredged out, let the mucky mud dry then using a regular excavator hauled it to the fill area and dumped and leveled off with a dozer.
What are the tree huggers going to say about filling in wetlands?????
I was kinda thinking the same thing, up here in Wisconsin the DNR would have your butt if you did anything near water or wetlands without a permit from them. Trbo
I do this type of work all the time. mud mud and more mud it seems. If the ground will support a dump truck that is the way to go. we dredge out dozens of ponds each year and have messed with everything from dry dirt to mud so wet that when dumped out of the truck it just flowed like water. Pushing the mud with a dozer can also work, but then everything will be covered in mud from pushing it over a distance. I would use a truck to haul it.
I may need to clarify my earlier post. I should not have used the term reclaim. This is actually pasture land used for grazing cattle. We have had the wettest summer in 20 years. This is also complicated by a 1' dam I constructed as a test. I originally planned to dig a 3 acre pond . Then thought I would dig out the ditch to reduce transport costs. This would also give me a long reservoir to irrigate out of. It is not a wetland issue. I am not sure we can use a pan. This soil does not like to dry out when piled up. Any other advice is appreciated.
If it is too wet to haul right away, then I was saying toss the dirt out in a large area, not to pile it but spread it out to dry then load latter, using a pan. But if you can haul it right away then just using a dumptruck is your best bet. Trbo
Yeah, use a dump truck or two with the 690 Deere. If you can spread the loads out a bit, you can use that Fat-Allis grader of yours to spread it out and pull your slopes. The M-100 was a fine little machine. Good Luck!
Wet spoil piles ? From the info presented , I'd use a wide pad D6 LGP. Rent one if you have to. You can push economically that distance, for such a small job. And level it off really smooth for seeding, and drainage.
I appreciate everyones advice! The Deere 690 was purchased pretty cheap for this project several years ago and I am restoring her now. I am at the point of blasting and painting. I will post some pics if I figure out how as HEF is still new to me. I did some checking and tandems wet for a ranch project can be had for $50.00 Hr. I wish I had a bigger hoe to dig the 35K cu yds. It is very easy digging though.
By the way IT"S CHRISTMAS I think a AGL laser visual reciever could complement my dual slope transmitter. It could be mounted on the stick of my 690A, 580M or the board on the M-100. What is your experience with a manual laser set-up? By the way I have pretty good but not real good, Santa will still be coming!
A visual laser receiver is one of those things that once you have one you would really hate to be without.
Before you move any dirt, make sure you have all of the proper permits. Fish & Game, state, county, city....... get all your paperwork in order first.
How to????????????? Hi, Legdoc. IMHO, the way to go is to get it loaded and hauled as and when you first lift it out of the drain if at all possible, even if it is too wet to work with at the other end. The 'spread-and-let-dry' idea is a good one but it doesn't matter to the material whether it dries at the origin end or the destination end of the job. If you can get it loaded and hauled the first time you handle it, you are eliminating at least one cause of double handling. Northart's suggestion of an LGP D6 could have merit too, depending on how dry it gets as the summer progresses, but I think I'd take it a step further and suggest a 'swampy', an LGP with the pyramid-shaped track shoes, (See attached photo.) especially if it remains rather damp. They'll work happily in conditions that would have a normal LGP slipping and sliding and going nowhere fast. I'd also suggest a hi-sprocket machine for this work, even if you have to rent it, as they tend to choke up the tracks a lot less than oval-track machines in the same going. I guess this depends on your budget though. Happy digging.
If you get a swamp dozer like Deas said be very careful around any rocks or stumps those tracks twist easy.
No rocks or stumps here. It's 33 degrees here at 8:30 AM, light breeze and a perfect clear sky. I'll get some pics about midday and see if I can figure out how to post them here.
Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures.
Thanks Countryboy I'll give it a look.
like deas plant said whatever you decide to do when you dig the dirt its almost always best to put it where you want it the first time you handle it. if you need to dry it and have the time and space spread it out and disc it let the top dry and disc it some more.
Heres something to consider. Id first try a run with your single axle. Load it up and run it to where you want to dump the material. This will give you an idea on how roads are going to hold up to truck traffic. Really your going to need a dozer or grader to keep things smooth. One thing to consider is your cycle times. If your going to be hiring tandem axle dumps to come to you site your going to want to keep cycle times low. This could be difficult depending on how deep you have to dig. Im going to guess your going to want to go as deep as you can. This means a long cycle. It will take forever to get that bucket from the bottom of the hole to dump truck. If I was going to be paying trucks here is how I would do things. It is probably a wash in the end as you'll be paying more in fuel rather than spending the money on trucks. I would set up on the edge of your excavation area. Then I would dig the material out. This would be about 1 and a half machine widths. I would throw everything into a long pile. Almost like you were trenching. Depending on how wet things are, this will help dry your material. Its getting it up out of the water table. Its also going to dry some as you handle it. Hopefully the material comes out dry enough you can sit on top of this pile that you just made. Try to keep it a few feet higher than the dump trucks are. Now youve got one long bench to sit on and load the trucks. Now your handling the material twice. But its probably better in the long run. The more you move the material and break it up, the more its going to dry out. This way your doing all the slow work while the trucks are not around. Sitting on this bench is going to allow you to see into the dumps as you load them. You wont be reaching as far so youll be able to throw the material in the trucks faster.