Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question for Truck Shop

f311fr1 ยท 2018-03-28 15:01

Replaced the water pump on our 1996 Freightliner FL120 with N14 engine. I was wondering how long the flat rate manual gives for this job?

Replies12
  1. #1Truck Shop2018-03-28 18:16

    Four hours give or take at any dealer.

  2. #2f311fr12018-03-28 20:01

    Thanks, took me 8 hours.

  3. #3Wes J2018-03-28 20:33

    Now you're ready to do an ISX, the one that's hidden behind the damper. Wonder what Cummins was smoking when they thought that up.

  4. #4Truck Shop2018-03-28 21:26

    They have been smoking the same crap year after year ever since they quit making the N14. Any truck with a ISX EGR built from 06 thru 12 is a true turd, resale value is in the toilet.

  5. #5Truck Shop2018-03-28 21:28

    That's to be expected if it's your first one. Main thing is everything works right and no leaks.

  6. #6Wes J2018-03-28 21:44

    When I was in college in 2007 we had some Cummins engineers from the mother ship in Indy come to visit. I had rubbed noses with one or two ISX engines at that point (pre EGR). I more or less asked them *** they were smoking. The engineer told me that 95% of the components in the ISX were entirely new designs. They reused some hardware and that's about it. They did some weird stuff with the cam to avoid the EGR. Then they still had to add the EGR. The double overhead cams were a disaster.

  7. #7Hallback2018-03-28 22:06

    I have an 09 ISX that has been deleted & tuned to 600. It is a great runner.

  8. #8RZucker2018-03-28 23:01

    I'm with you on that. Got a customer with N-14s, series 60's, 3406 E's, and a couple of 3406B's... I will not touch the 2012 ISX they bought recently. That ISX has cost them more than my yearly bill on the rest of the fleet.

  9. #9Wes J2018-03-29 10:23

    I worked on a truck with a dual cam ISX and an auto shift trans once. Emphasis on ONCE!

  10. #10RZucker2018-03-29 23:29

    I once got stuck with 2 QSX engines that had been dusted... Ugly mess on the cams and rollers, Owner was told to get them outta my shop and don't come back. They were junk and replacements were $52,000 apiece with no room for me to make a buck on them. Somehow I think Case/IH ate them on trade ins. Moral of the story is never allow idiots to service air filters. The machines were Case Quad tracks with those funky Donaldson spiral wrap air filters and the guys were beating them on the tracks to "clean" them.

  11. #11Muffler Bearing2018-04-04 15:14

    I liked the ceramic fuel pump plungers that would fail and take out a gear train. You can remove/destroy the front crank gear in only 85 easy steps!

  12. #12Wes J2018-04-04 18:47

    Sometimes a manufacturer makes something so stupid you just can't believe it ever made it to production. Like the I5 engine in the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Changing the timing chain is something like a 20+ hour job. You have to remove the valve cover, front cover, and oil pan. If you have 4WD, getting the pan off means removing the rack and dropping the front axle. Then if you need to change the balance shaft chain, you have to pull the transmission and transfer case. There's engines I could completely rebuild in 20 hours...