Is the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley on is it left hand thread??? or Right hand??? Im changing the crank seal since i have the hydraulic pump out. I tried it tonight just quickly before comming to work and i cant tell what it is R or L !!! Can someone let me know please? Thanks Harry
Everyone I have worked on was right hand thread. Probably going to be a little tight. You should be able to remove timing pin cover (flywheel housing) and turn it over until 5/16 bolt slides into pin hole, to hold crank from turning while loosening bolt.
Worked perfect got it out thanks
I have a John Deer 510 and removing the crankshaft pulley bolt was not an issue, I chained it to the frame to keep it from moving and cheater barred it. The problem now is the getting the pulley off. It has to be replaced because is it cracked. Anyone have an idea. I have included a photo. Thanks Z Mountain 1978 John Deere 510 D Backhoe/Loader
Not a JD expert by any means but have removed more than my share of pulleys. Do whatever is necessary to make room to work on this first. Get the broken bolt out of the hole where the bushing was at and remove the one that is still intact. You should then be able to use both those holes to secure a puller. Heat the pulley a little if it doesn't want to move and as someone else said earlier, don't hurt the crankshaft. I usually remove the washer from the bolt that holds the pulley on and screw it back in the crank for the puller to push against.