Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on Excavator Width with various track widths.

jturbo ยท 2014-09-08 23:46

I am looking for a 160 class machine for use on my farm. I would like to buy a machine with a width @ 8'6" or less to make it easier/cheaper to move. One thing I am trying to understand. Does the overall machine become wider as the track width becomes wider? Many of these machines come with either 23.5 or 27.5 tracks, but I dont see where the data sheets list various machine widths for different sized tracks. I am assuming that an oversized machine i more expensive to pay to move? Is this generally true for haulers? Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-09-09 00:36

    A deere 160c is 8'-6" with 24" pads and 8'-10" with 28" pads. Most 160's around here have the 28" pads. When I worked at the dealer we cut 2" off the outside of the pads pretty regularly for guys with your concern. Now that I work for a contractor I don't see the point. We have an annual oversize permit so the only difference is we need to put the oversize signs on to haul it. I would think if you are hiring someone to move it any extra cost would be negligible.

  2. #2TreeHogger2014-09-09 13:21

    When I was looking for a machine my tree farm, I drove 3 states away just to look at one because it had 28" pads (and bought it). The person who hauled it left in the night with no permit (and no problems)! I would not consider 24" give a choice, but I have a lot of forest floodplain and clay soils...

  3. #3LT-x72014-09-09 18:03

    I'm surprised you guys even put the signs on for 2" hanging off both sides....

  4. #4jturbo2014-09-10 00:04

    Thanks for the good informaiton. I am looking at some machines but often they are a long ways away. Does anyone know if it adds significant cost to ship an 8'10" machine vs an 8'6" machine?

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-09-10 01:15

    The 2 county commercial cops will nail your arse if they see anything other than the d-rings wider than the deck. Dicks!