Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on installing crane

Thomas220242 · 2024-03-14 23:46

Have a lift Moore 2550 I purchased to go on my truck. The truck as an Eaton 10 speed with pto, it’s a tandem pump so as 2 pressure feeds. I’m assuming I can’t just leave one feed caped off and run crane off the other one? I’m not sure if that would hurt the pump.

Replies8
  1. #1terex herder2024-03-16 08:20

    Looks like a bad idea to me. Just take the pump apart and remove the extra section. I'm not a pump guy, but things that turn need lubrication. To much lubrication with a capped gear pump and things go pow.

  2. #2crane operator2024-03-16 10:59

    You could just run the second sector in a loop back to tank. Or you could run it to a valve on the rear of the truck, and have hoses made up so you could have live hydraulics on the truck. Run cylinders/ jacks. Or power a hyd. winch. No reason to not put it to use/ have it available.

  3. #3skyking12024-03-16 11:02

    If you open looped it, will it make heat? I know it will make a lot of heat if it is bypassed at xxxx pressure.

  4. #4crane operator2024-03-16 11:08

    A lowboy powered by a wet kit, as soon as you kick the pumps in, the oil is making a "loop". From pump to trailer, back to tank. All those cranes you ran are the same way. The crane he is installing is the same. From the pump, to the valves, and back to tank, whether its doing any work or not. Its the resistance to flow (work) that makes the heat.

  5. #5Thomas2202422024-03-16 16:26

    Heat wouldn’t be a concern as truck will have hydraulic cooler with temp activated cooling fan. With the tandem pto pump I’ll have to figure out how to best run the hydraulic houses etc. I’m probably going to have to order some valves or something I’m guessing

  6. #6Thomas2202422024-03-16 16:28

    It’s does have a hydraulic reel for tools, but I wouldn’t I need to have a way to divert hydraulic pressure back to tank when not in use. That are find a valve block of some kind

  7. #7JaredV2024-03-16 16:35

    Can you use both sections for the crane as a 2-speed? A valve that can send flow from one or both sections with a switch on the remote?

  8. #892U 34062024-03-16 16:44

    Open center control valve to control the reel. Oil will simply flow through the valve and back to tank when not in use. Pressure when not in use would be next to nil, only what is needed to push the flow through the hose and valve. Definitely need a relief valve in the circuit, you'll blow a hose or blow the pumps apart if you deadhead a function.