Anyone able to tell me the difference(s) between Komatsu PC300-3 and Komatsu PC300-6. Much appreciated for your help.
More Komatsu Questions - Searched this Forum, found nothing on Komatsu PC75UU. Having problems with rotations brake release. Any pointers to suitable online manuals? Could not find any either. The manual we have on hand, is no help. Or better, anyone on this forum familiar with Komatsu PC 75UU?
Post deleted
Problem fixed. Thanks to all of you anyhow, as I see this thread has a lot of readers. Best, Creative - The Office
the dash-3 serie where produced around 85-91 era...these dash-3 kicked for good komatsu up to the sky in north america market...the dask-6 serie where produced around 94-2003 if my memory is good?? they where a lot popular here in montreal aera... overall the big difference between the two serie was that the dash-6 brought the computerized era.....
dash-3 and the dash-6 at right
The Dash 3 was the first excavator I know of with electronics and load sensing hydraulics. The computer sensed engine speed and controlled pump output by changing the pilot pressures controlling the pumps. The computer was little more than a board with a couple of diodes for diagnostics. The hydraulics were open center load sensing which was a separate control from the computer. The machine could run at a lower output if the computer didn't work. The Dash 5 system was a refinement of the Dash 3 which had the same open center load sensing system and a new electronic control system. The electronics extended control to the throttle function with a computer as well as the pump control functions with a separate computer. Diagnostics were in each computer with the pump control having two digit codes and the throttle control having three colored diodes. The Dash 6 system came out in the smaller machines with an entirely new hydraulic system. This system is closed center load sensing and the electronics controls did basically the same things as the Dash 5 but the interface was completely updated to a full code system. The advent of emissions regulations caused Komatsu to install Cummins engines in the PC300-6. Where most manufacturers went to the L-10/M11 engine in this size of machine, Komatsu went with the C series engine. My experience with this combination wasn't good because the Cummins engines would not maintain their RPM when a load was put on the engine. I had many complaints of power and speed for this series and the engine just didn't have the power that was necessary. I have been away from the line for awhile so I don't know how the Dash 7 and Dash 8 models are doing. What I have seen is continued updating of the electronics packages.
i knew that the dash 3 had a "basic" electronic...but didn"t know that the dash 5 was the real first computerized one...
I always have thought a dash 5,120 through 400,are GREAT machines.
I've got a PC300-5 with 22,000 hours on it. It had 17,xxx something on it when we bought it in 2004. We've packed 1 boom cylinder, the bucket cylinder, re-built the end of the stick (bucket pin), replaced the rpm sensor a couple of times, and replaced 3 hoses that I can think of. I'm using it everyday on a water and sewer job I'm doing. Got a mechanic coming out this week to do a "Power Tune" on it, but that's the first time since we've owned it that we've ever had someone work on it besides ourselves. It could use some cosmetic help, the radiator side door was swung into something before we bought it, and the pump side door came unlatched and got swung into a bank about a year ago, but if I could find the doors cheap enough (they're still on it, just don't look too good), I'd like to paint it. We're thinking about trading it on a newer one (I'd like to get a Dash 8 like our 200), but I would't be afraid of keeping it as an extra hoe, or even plumbing it for a hammer. Good solid machines in my opinion. It just doesn't seem as quick as it was, and the mechanic we know at Komatsu said it just needs a "Power Tune" whatever that is. I've dug along side a Cat 330BL with it before, when it was running right, and he didn't out-produce me. I think I probably had a lot more experience on a hoe than the guy running the 330, so that may have been a factor, having never ran a 330.
I sure miss running a 150-5.What a great machine,smooth as glass,and can keepp up to anything.
I used to throw away those sheet metal doors and put hard doors on them. Basically I would send the old doors to a fab shop where they would take some 3/16" sheet steel and bend the curve on top of the door. The would also make the cutout for the door latch. I would cut off the hinges and latch from the old door and the fit the hard door up on the machine, tack weld the hinges and latch. Took it down and welded all hard and then painted the door to fit the machine color. At that time I was doing both hard doors for the price of one factory door. Congratulations on the life of your machine and good luck in the future!
Here's a few recent pics of the Dash 5
That's a good idea. I'll have to think about doing that, all I'd have to do is have the bends made. I could do all the changing over and welding myself. I happen to have a friend that has a welding shop, that I could probably do some trading with to get some new 3/16" sheet, and have it sheared and broke, which would make it a pretty easy task. Just make the "grille" out of some expanded metal, which I happen to have some of. It'd look a little different, but it'd be better than it is. The radiator side door is tweaked so bad, that you can only get one of the bolts in it that holds it closed.
Check the usefull link: Komatsu on-line parts catalogues www.komatsupartsbook.com Share with friends
I have a Komatsu 75UU it has been an excellent piece of equipment with very little problems over the last 6years of heavy use. I would buy another in a heartbeat. It is a very nimble machine and can get in about any tight spot and perform. It is very fuel efficient and weighs appox. 17K making it easy to haul. You can buy a service manual CD on Ebay also right now.