I just blew up right rear Case 550 final drive. I am new operator and wish to know: Do I have hire field repair mechanic to fix in the filed or have it moved to repair site? Do I buy after market bull gears and shafts or new? are there complete used or rebuilt units after market available? what should I expect to pay?
Repairs It all depends on the resources you have and what is available in your area and distance to a dealer. Having a dealer come out with travel and mileage can run the cost up. Pulling the trans and final your self and sending it to the shop could save some money also if your set up to do this. It also depends on what failed bearing wise or just shucked the teeth, If it failed inside the trans case and ran for awhile you could have trash throughout the converter,cooler, clutches. You may also need a extra machine to load or a winch unit just to get it to a place to work on it to load out. If it's not on your own site, me I would get it to the house or shop of your choice to limit the travel and have some good ground to work. This is how it goes, remove the seat and floor boards, belly pans, and rear sheet metal cover if it has one, pressure wash it all including the tracks. Brake both tracks and roll the machine to the rear, add some 1'x1' blocks under the roller frame to add some height, remove the drawbar, loosen the bolts on both sides to the front of final and the top bolts. If at this point you need to make the choice to pull the whole trans/finals out as a unit (best choice) but they can be done half in and out (not the best choice) takes more time than it's worth. You will need the service manual and parts book to help you. You are looking at to start, bull gear $800.00, gear set $1100.00, final seals and bearing, and other parts $1500.00 and the list may go on. Then labor 40 hrs at $100.00 est, $4000.00. You don't know what your total parts will be until it's opened up and inspected. You may get out cheaper than $6000.00 but I think it will be more, just don't know until it 's apart and you can fine tune your parts needed.
Thanks this will help me get started. Is there a difference in on line parts like bull gear etc. From those available at dealer or are both same quality