I'm a homeowner with little to none experience with this type of equipment. Picked up a 1984 International with 392 ci Navistar gas engine. I'd like to change all fluids but don't know what is used in some of the items. What fluid is used in the rear differential? the PTO? What is the correct engine/transmission oil? I'm trying to locate all the grease zerks. I noticed there are two zerks, one on each side of the back of the engine block right before it goes into the transmission. What would these be for? What type of grease is correct for all of the zerks? The original battery has been replaced with a smaller battery in 2004 with questionable status. What battery should I put back into this? Thanks for any help. Gary
We run 80-90 gear oil in our truck diffs and manual trannies. For PTO/hoist hydraulics we use a good grade hyd oil which happens to be JD trans hydraulic because that is what we use in all our tractor trans/hydraulic systems. If you have a manual transmission, it's a good possibility that the grease zerks are clutch fork shaft bushings. If you open the cover under the clutch, you will probably find a grease nipple on the release bearing. Grease it sparingly. Put in as big a battery as fits in the case/ holder. Have fun! What are you planning to do with your truck?
I've got some mountain property with tons of dead beetle kill pines so I'll be running stumps to a landfill, bringing in roadbase, moving slash piles, getting the land ready to build on and minimizing fire potential. It has a manual transmission, one speed axle but high and low ranges on the transmission. I have a dumb question: is the manual transmission fluid different from the engine oil? What viscosity of engine oil should I be running? Should I be greasing the zerks until I see the grease coming out of the seals?
No different than any other gas engine, you could use 15W/40, 10W/40, or 10W/30 engine oil. 85W/90 gear oil in transmission and differentials unless it specifies using synthetic gear oil. For grease fittings on truck chassis, typically 2 to 4 shots is enough, maybe a few more for u-joints depending on how big they are. Grease u-joints only until you hear a pop (grease coming out of seal, any more and you'll just sling grease on your chassis.
Thanks. I assume the rear differential and transmission box need to be filled until the fluid runs out of the fill hole.
Yup.
If you have Hi and low range on the transmission it could be a Fuller Trans, in that case use synthetic 50 oil. Regular gear oil will screw up the syncros in the trans
I think most require High Tenp.grease in the throw out bearing.I never use a cheap soap based grease.I like the Moly seems to do better.What is your opion willie?
Uh Oh, the transmission may have a hi and low range (red knob on the side of the stick shift) which I haven't quite figured out yet and yesterday I replaced the transmission oil with 80w-90. How bad have I screwed this up? Right now, I'm using the hi range only.
That's almost certain to be a 2-speed rear end, not transmission ranges. To be sure, look at your rear end, it should have a small gearbox and a little electric motor beside where the driveshaft goes in.
Here's a picture of what's back there.
Yep, that's the critter, 2-speed rear for sure.
I replaced this rear differential's fluid with 80w-90 yesterday also. Am I okay with this?
yep
I use Moly grease as well. It retains a lube film in very close tolerances.
can somebody point in the direction of where to get a service AND owners (online) manual for a 1990 Volvo/White/GMC WG 64 Tri-axle dump truck. You would think it would be easy. Hardbacks are running $400+