Just got the TD7G I have been looking at home. Now it's mine. My first dozer. It did not come with manuals but I have some coming. My dash panel has 5 gauges. The top row has three. I can't identify the top left gauge and the needle does not seem to move. Can anyone tell me what this gauge is, I would like to know before my manuals arrive as I am learning to operate it with some light work. I also have to do some track work and need to make some decisions on how. If I remove the tracks in order to bring them to a track shop about how much does each side weigh? (34 links with 15" open center pads). Thanks in advance.
I got a weight from a track shop. They are telling me about 1250 lbs per track. Another question. I am going to bring the tracks to a shop for a pad swap. The old track chains have aligator ?? type main links. The bolt heads are so worn they won't hold a socket. If I push the track adjusters all the way back and jack it up will the tracks come off or should I just cut the track chain somewhere?
We will use cheap impact sockets , find a size you will have to drive on with a hammer. Preferably 3/4 drive air gun. I don't know the year of that machine , but earlier models had a master pin that had to be pressed out. Are you just getting new pads or putting your pads on a new set of rails? I guess I see you may cut them. Is your dash panel square ? On a smaller machine I like the mud relief pads better , wish I had them on my 39.
My dash is square. The machine is a 1990 vintage, maybe 92. I have engine oil pressure, engine coolant temp, battery voltage, converter oil temp, hours, and the unknown one. I am planning to put my old pads on a new track chain. The pad bolts on the master link are threaded into the link and hold the aligator type link together. (I think) There are no nuts on the master link pad bolts. The bolt heads are domed and the corners rounded off. Maybe I can drive a socket on and get it to hold. I'll give it a try.
The bolts in the master and other pads are domed for wear purposes , supposed to protect the shoulders from rounding. It works for a while until you get some hours. I looked at my manuel for my D39 Komatsu , your guage maybe for fuel . I know the dresser and komatsu share the same dash on some models as they are basicaly the same until the -22 models or hydros came out. Can you post up a pic of the dash? What engine is in it , a n/a 3.9 cummins? Those rails are junk , I'd torch them off and let the shop worry about the rest . When you re install the new set make sure to clean all paint off the master or gator, and I mean all of it. Install new bolts with anti seize compound torque run a bit and re torque and check again. I would recommend replacing the sprockets also with the new rails. They are not too pricey.
Top left guage is clutch pressure , this needs to be a specific range or you will smoke you clutches. I would replace the guage or have it checked before you run it to see if it is in operating range.
Thanks for the help! Here is a picture of the dash and a couple of the track pads. Top left guage is a mystery and what is the thing just below it on the elbow?? It has a plastic bowl and a spring plunger on the bottom. I have the 3.9 cummins motor. I plan to swap the old pads onto the new track chains and put on new sprockets. I will be using the machine to maintain ( not build ) woods roads, landings, and push snow. What do you think about the pads? Thanks gg
Your pads look fine to me. The device with the spring plunger is the air filter guage. If it indicates red the air filter is plugged and needs cleaning or replacement. The device is reset with the push button on its bottom.
The top left guage is definitely clutch pressure , the later is a filter minder. When the filter becomes clogged it raises the amount of vacuum thus collapsing the spring. You can trick these out , by installing an electric vac switch at a certain pressure that will turn on a light on the dash . This is more noticable than the other minder and simple to install. Those pads will run that tractor a good while . For certain jobs they are better , like maintaining roads . This is because they won't cut so deep when you turn. Get that clutch pressure guage fixed so you can see where you are at , sometimes low pressure indicates a plugged filter.
Have you considered slots cut in the pads while they are off? I push a lot of snow and wish I would have done this when I changed rails/sprockets. The snow will build up and have no place to escape when compressed.
Thanks for the comment. You probably can't see them in the picture but there are mud relief holes cut in the pads centered in the mounnting bolt pattern. Or do you think I need more opening than that for snow??
Ah, man...you are good to go! Since I couldn't see 'em, thought I'd comment since you will be having the pads off. Now you are making me jealous! I could sure use the slots, but HATE the thought of removing all the pads...again. I just never saw the need coming and found out after the fact.