Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quick 977 question

Mobilewrench ยท 2025-06-04 01:16

I don't have the serial number. Think it is a 977k I have spent a couple of Saturday's this month helping a friend with some undercarriage work on this old beast. Front idler and then a track tensioner seal swap last weekend. This is a completely unrelated issue. At least for this client. I know a guy who would be sure what happened was my fault. Anyway, apparently his transmission dipstick broke in the tube. He asked me what he should do and or be worried about. At first, I have to admit... I didn't have a clue. I was a bit preoccupied with a different problem when he called. So after I got home and had a really nice glass of bourbon on my lanai; my brain and sphincter both unclenched and I was able to think about it. Keep in mind that a lot of what I am about to type here is assumption and a lot of that is based on anecdotal evidence. Last week I had to replace a transmission oil pump on a D8. One of the steps is to drain the power train oil. I think the main point of that step is checking the screens in the lines for shrapnel because the pump is mounted way above the fluid line. So I tried to find a way to get the drive train oil out of the transmission that did not include me being under the machine with five gallon buckets and being soaked in oil. I am sad to say that even though I came up with a couple of clever ways to do this...they didn't work.I was actually under a d8 and draining drive train oil into 5gallon buckets and getting soaked in oil. But I learned that the trans dipstick on a d8 ends up pretty darn near the bottom of tranny. And if 2 to 3 feet of it break off there is almost no chance of it ending up in the sump. I assume that is the same with a 977.. And even then....there's most probably a suction screen to protect the rest of the transmission from debris. After a second glass of really nice bourbon, I phoned my friend to tell him that I did not think he had anything to worry about. The broken piece of his dipstick had almost no chance of falling Into his transmission oil. And it did. There was most likely a screen in it to ensure that the metal wouldn't be pulled into the system. Around that point in the conversation, he was rummaging through his toolbox and found the missing piece of tranny dipstick. It had broken months ago. Apparently, he drinks bourbon too.

Replies1
  1. #1tctractors2025-06-04 15:38

    To drain your D8 transmission without to much fuss connect a hydraulic hose with a tap fitted to the pressure test quick coupling with the hose tail into a 205 barrel, start the engine up and run at low idle you will hear when it is near all pumped out, this will leave a small amount to drain by hand into buckets.