Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quick Attach Pin Problem

Greenstreet · 2015-05-22 14:40

Purchased an “orphaned” Skat Trak 1700C and I’m in the process of paying backing some of the initial cost savings. My quick attach pins started to drop the bucket or backhoe attachment with backward pressure. A shop was able to press pins straight and that snugged things up so I could get back to work (Not sure if job is lot clearing or just get out there and break stuff. I’m on first name basis with hydraulic hose people.). But it seems there is evidence of wear that makes them looser than they should be. These pins are no longer available thru Volvo. Jason at Rudd Equipment really tried and got me in touch with a manufacturer in WI but they could not set up a line for two pins. They also would have to get permission from Volvo and I can't imagine how much jumping thru all those hoops would cost. Question is: Does anyone have experience/advice having a local shop fabricate these pins ( L shaped piece) and what to watch for like heat treating, steel, etc… Also would it work to weld an eighth inch piece of material over the wear area of the wedge part of pin? I know just enough to be dangerous. Thanks for your advice!

Replies2
  1. #1Mjrdude12015-05-22 16:44

    A machine shop in your area can make the pins, and don't worry about infringements, especially since they don't support the machine anymore. As to the worn spots on the bucket, we usually use a wirefeed and build the worn area back up then do a little work with a die grinder to dress it flat again. Take the slop out of the area and it will all last much longer.

  2. #2Greenstreet2015-05-23 08:10

    Thanks! Buckets and backhoe attachments are new but I'll look closer to see if I damaged the edges in contact with the pins. I'm loving that 80+ HP, the tracks, and everything about this machine but I have to keep reminding myself just because I can do something does not mean its a good idea. You don't get as many second chances with these legacy machines. But the people on this forum are a big help. Again, thanks for sharing your experience.