Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quick connectors not that quick

rdavison39 ยท 2020-08-25 13:41

Hi there - i recently purchased a 2012 Bobcat e55 midi excavator. Along with it a wrist bucket and thumb. I can't use both wrist bucket and thumb because I only have 1 aux at the boom but there are 2 quick connectors - much like you would find on air compressor tools. I can disconnect the line but reconnecting is a problem - because the lines are under pressure. Unless I crack the line and release the pressure i cannot reconnect. This is a tad time consuming and messy. I can't release the pressure when the machine is off as far as i can tell (all the controls are electronic). I did try unscrewing the hydraulic oil tank and it did release pressure but not enough.....is there a trick to doing this so the connectors come on and off relatively easy ? Thx Ron

Replies11
  1. #1uffex2020-08-25 15:43

    Hi Ron Had a similar issue with quick couplers especially the lower cost units solved the change over on a couple of machines by installing a bridge line and small ball valve, opening this discharged the pressure and made switching without a problem. If that is interesting I maybe can find the details in the archive. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2seville0092020-08-25 18:15

    My 2009 ASV PT50 has a little metal pressure release button on the skidsteer side of the quick connections. Not sure if Bobcats have that. One of the connectors also has an indentation on the hose side that has to be lined up with a tab on the skidsteer side. That being said, I still have to stand stand in front of the connectors and take a deep breath and struggle. Also....I do it with the engine running. Should have no effect, but it does seem to connect easier.

  3. #3WoodBoy2020-08-26 00:27

    I have an E63 which a hydraulic thumb and time to time I knock my quick connect off during brush removal. Switch machine off and then key back on but do not start, lower safety lever and work your thumb hydraulics to get some pressure relieved in the lines. You may do this a couple of times. After that, you just have to man handle them and yea they can be a buggar

  4. #456wrench2020-08-26 00:47

    don't forget thermal expansion in the attachment- especially on a hot day. maybe you need to convert the couplers to the kind that you can connect under pressure if it doesn't already have them

  5. #5rdavison392020-08-26 10:16

    Thanks guys - all good information...and looks like I'm not alone which is somewhat comforting. I like the ball valve idea - Uffex, if you have a link to the archive that would be great. I'll also try what WoodBoy suggested but i'm pretty sure when i turned just the key on (i.e. on but not started) moving the stick(s) did nothing as the controls don't seem to be engaged.

  6. #6uffex2020-08-26 12:44

    Good day Please see attched Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7uffex2020-08-27 03:56

    Good day A contact has pointed out that I ommited to state that when releasing the pressure as well as key in the run position the control lock out needs to activated. Sorry the point was missed on the document I will ammend it shortly. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8uffex2020-08-27 04:22

    Ammended attchment

  9. #9excavator2020-08-27 10:40

    Check out Stucchi VEP series connectors. They are a screw together, connect under pressure, I've installed them on several machines. A bit spendy but well worth it.

  10. #10highwayghost2020-08-29 09:11

    Pushing/tapping the ball on the male connector end against a hard surface will release the pressure that is on that side of the connection. Be careful of the oil being released!

  11. #11farmerlund2020-08-29 09:36

    Another vote for Stucchi couplers. www.stucchiusa.com/multi-coupling-plates/ I have the DP plate style. I love them. You can get single port ones.