Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quick Disconnect tool.

Bullseye Beaver F. · 2022-02-18 18:06

What is the proper way to use a J-42971 Quick Disconnect Tool? I am removing a power steering line to a gear box. I must be over thinking this!

Replies4
  1. #1JD955SC2022-02-19 11:22

    Those style of quick disconnects are just stupid. They jam up with any kind of dirt/debris in them or hell even in the same zip code and don’t work well at all. It’s not your fault that you can’t get it to release, it’s a retarded engineer’s demon spawn of a design and I hope he goes straight to hell and I wish I could send him there. I spent two hours getting a pair of big ones loose under a dozer with dirt raining down on me and then getting them reconnected was terrible and took another hour and a half.

  2. #2Bullseye Beaver F.2022-02-19 12:26

    Thanks for the reply!

  3. #3JD955SC2022-02-19 17:21

    The best advice I can give you is keep plugging away, spray it with brake clean and compressed air and penetrating oil to try to get it freed up and off of it you basically just use the tool to get a sleeve to slide back and release it which works sometimes when it’s clean, dry, and new but not so much in the real world.

  4. #4Bullseye Beaver F.2022-02-22 14:12

    Thanks for replies. I got these tools from Amazon: Air Brake Line Release Tools from OTC Tools (5089). Four Different sizes 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, and 5/8. It worked great! The one line gave me a little trouble but like the comment before, dirt and debris was a factor. (Similar to J-45666 & J-42971).