Hi guys, I have noticed that my tie down chains fail mostly because the cotter pins fall out and we lose the hook. Has anyone thought about exchanging the pin and cotter for a grade 8 bolt? Any other solutions out there? Ken
should work, or even tack weld if you really want to be sure
What way are you putting the pin? Cotter pin on the face or the backside of the hook? Should be on the backside.
Should work fine, but the bolt head takes up more space on the hook side than a pin head. I guess they don't make cotter pins like they used to.
Heat the end off the pin and mushroom it so it can't fall out. Mike
Bolts, especially Grade 8 are a bad idea for chain hooks, they're not rated for that type of load. Inspectors will ticket you and possibly red tag you until you replace the tie downs with "approved" gear. Grade 8 bolts will shatter if you side load them enough, Grade 5 will bend. I always just used roll pins instead of cotters to retain the pin, left a couple with cotters for those times when you just have to remove the hook in the field.
DOT wont like the bolt or modified pins at all. roll pins are a great idea, never thought of that before.
I have started buying grab hooks with the roll pin attachment instead of cotter keys because of losing the cotter keys and pins. They are definitely more expensive though.