I should post this under Old Iron but it is truck related. For those of you who like old trucks this is a good quiz. After a few guesses from the crowd I will post the answer and photos with info. Question----------What was the first year Freightliner built a conventional? Truck Shop
I honestly don't know but I'm going to say 1974 for the sake of fun. I'm probably not even in the right decade. LOL
Well bam1968 you are right in a sense. And the only one to respond in 5 hrs so here is the answer. The first conventional's were built in 1960. Only two each were built in 60 and 61. 62 through 65 eleven more were produced. The fiberglass hoods and cab were built by a boat manufacture in Portland Or. All of these were test models and were actually sold later. The one below is #2 built in 1960 and still owned by the same person who bought it in January of 61. There is only one other remaining that he knows of. This truck was last used in 1983 and now just rotting away. It was a slightly ugly truck when it was new. ** 250 Cummins same engine it was born with, 4x4 trans, Mercury sleeper from factory** Note the front frame horn mounting of the steering box. Freightliner used the same mount on their stationary cab over engine models in the early 50's plus this truck has early center point steering. The ICC number is a low one and only five digit. I drove by this truck several times through the years trying to figure out what it was. I finally stopped today to get photos and talk to the owner. Nice old guy he is. She's pretty tired looking. Truck Shop
What year did they start with full production? 1965 ish? When I answered the original question I have seen a few from the mid to late '70's but hadn't remembered seeing any older than that.
There is a small local trucking company here that still runs under a 5 digit ICC number. The number is still displayed on most of there trucks. They are good friends of mine and I told them they should keep displaying it on the newer trucks even though its not required just because I think it pretty cool to have a 5 digit number.
The cab and hood looks a little like an old White Road Boss. the hood is longer, though.