Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

R/T Crane – Boom cradle ?

cuslog ยท 2015-07-27 12:48

Clark 720 OS, 20 Tonne R/T Any of you guys using a boom cradle when you transport a R/T crane on a low bed ? A few years ago I had an incident where I transported my R/T crane about 75 miles, 25 of which was over very rough logging road. I must add that the driver was rather "aggressive" over the rough stuff too ! Crane was chained down well enough(I thought). Boom as short as possible, as low as possible and the hook block back to the main frame. Tip of boom cross chained down. When we got to the job site my rotary manifold and main boom cylinders were leaking quite badly (and they hadn't previously). A $5,000 job cost me $7,000 in repairs. Thinking back on it now, I'm thinking that the damage may have been caused by the rough roads/ aggressive driving / no boom cradle ? What do you guys think ? I may have another opportunity for work on a logging road bridge but I'm thinking I should maybe build myself a cradle for my boom before I step into that one. Anyone have any pictures of shop built boom cradles for use on a low bed with an R/T crane ?

Replies13
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-07-27 17:02

    Is there a way to put your boom in a float mode when on the cradle. If not I am not sure it will help. Someone else will chime in. I for sure would look for another transport if they are pounding it that hard on rough roads.

  2. #2cuslog2015-07-27 18:07

    No "float mode" that I'm aware of. Yes, a different low bed for sure, but even at that, I'm not so sure I'd want to risk another job like that. I'm just wondering what other guys do in a situation like that (low bedding over a rough road). I was thinking that some kind of a "boom cradle" to support the boom better might be a solution ?

  3. #3Tugger2015-07-27 22:05

    Were you sitting on the tires or were the outriggers down on the deck.It always seems difficult to chain things down tight on rubber.Chaining you boom down tight to the bed might be like like hooking a long lever up to your turn table ,especially if you consider the flex of the the lowbed over its length on a rough road.Just some ideas as I only move my conventionals.I always have the driver cross chain the counterweight after he s chained the machine the way he likes,then I put a couple of belts on the boom ,more for looks never tight.Those are tough jobs when the repairs exceed the revenue. Good luck

  4. #4cuslog2015-07-28 09:54

    Outriggers were down - taking some weight - not sure how much but probably quite a bit - rubber was still touching. Yes, boom all the way down (presuming main boom cylinders are bottomed out in this position). Boom is ~ 30 ft. all sucked in - pulled down "hard" with chain boomers + fast driver on a very rough road. Boom becomes a big pry bar + pounding on the bottomed out parts. I'm thinking all those factors combined did the damage. Maybe some kind of a "boom cradle would prevent a repeat ? I don't know.:beatsme

  5. #5classictruckman2015-07-28 21:42

    maybe tell your driver to slow down. never seen a cradle on a r/t but it maybe a good idea.

  6. #6cuslog2015-07-29 10:04

    Telling these guys to "slow down" doesn't always work. That road was terrible. Had nuggets the size of watermelons, sticking up 4 or 5 inches - lots of them. I was behind the low bed - had trouble keeping up in my pickup - nuggets would make my pickup fishtail. At the time, I never thought it might damage my crane. Was thinking of a cradle out at the boom tip. There's a couple of nice heavy anchor points for attaching a jib - make it just tall enough that it'll hold the boom up a few inches from being "Bottomed out". Was hoping someone was already using one like this and maybe had a picture I could "steal ideas from".

  7. #7wornout wrench2015-07-29 11:47

    Hey cuslog What part of BC you from? Have you ever seen a lowbed transporting a hydraulic log loader and they have the cradle at the back of the bed to rest the boom on. Really common on the island. I have been trying to find a decent picture to send along, even looking on some of the sites for the local bed companies but just can't find what I'm looking for. It is basically just a T that they stand up. Takes the weight and lets the boom hang over the end of the bed. I know what you mean about some of the drivers being a little heavy on the right foot. I can't do it today but I might be able to go out and see if I can get a picture later if you want

  8. #8cuslog2015-07-29 13:41

    Salmon Arm Yeah, I was thinking of an "H" configuration, with a couple of broad "Feet". Yeah, these guys that run the logging roads in the mountains mostly work for the big companies and they've had their rates squashed down so badly that they've got to really "fly" to make any money. Low beds are generally by the hour but I think the "highballing" just gets to be habit. They say that some are hooked on the adrenalin.

  9. #9donkey doctor2015-07-29 15:41

    Not the best pics but might help. d.d.

  10. #10wornout wrench2015-07-29 18:09

    Thanks DD Exactly what I was talking about.

  11. #11cuslog2015-07-29 21:18

    Thanks guys. Generally what I was thinking -- just have to make a "custom one" to fit my machine.

  12. #12Windowlicker2015-07-31 11:27

    Hi cuslog, I'm a crane operator and spent a good deal of time behind the wheel hauling logging equipment and RT type cranes. My take on it is the heel booms and but n top type log loaders have no "lock valves" like our cranes preventing boom collapse upon hose failure. Hydraulic fluid can't bypass on the crane with flex on the lowbed like our log loaders can. I personally never tied down a crane boom like I did with logging equipment. I always reserve the right to be wrong though.

  13. #13Tugger2015-07-31 21:53

    Sounds like the only real solution is to take it easy with an rt on rough roads.They get hauled up and down the highway every day with out any trouble.Hire your lowbed by the hour and remind him of the potential insureance claim for damage like that.Ive never relyed on insurance to solve problems,but the idea of a claim makes due diligence look pretty easy.