Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

R20’s going out of style.. Whats compatible?

alaskaforby4 ยท 2012-03-29 11:54

I have some 8.25x20 on my trailer and they are starting to look a little bald. I was thinking about going to a 22.5 and am looking for comparable tire sizes.. Does any one have a chart or site I could check out? Thanks, Sam

Replies3
  1. #1tireman2012-03-30 18:13

    The 8.25-20 is replaced by the 9-22.5.The 9.00-20 is replaced by the 10-22.5,10.00-20 by the 11-22.5.You are definitely better off going to the tubeless 22.5.

  2. #2alaskaforby42012-03-30 19:56

    Great! Thanks for the info. I have one more for you, what would be the metric equivelent to the 8.25xr20 .. i.e. 265/75r22.5 Thanks

  3. #3tireman2012-03-30 23:37

    There is no metric equivalent.The 9R22.5 replaces the 8.25R20.The metric sizes are low profile, which are exclusive to tubeless(the .5 sizes-15 degree bead taper, as opposed to the standard whole number 5 degree beads). Super low profile (255's) would be very close to the same diameter, although they have a wider cross-section as well as a wider footprint.Just out of curiosity,what type of trailer is it? It's highly unusual to have 8.25's on a trailer, as they were mostly on light duty trucks-i.e. an F-600 Ford or the like.